Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Excess copper in barrel. Effects of too fast a twist rate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Excess copper in barrel. Effects of too fast a twist rate?

I have a .25-06 AI that is a PITA to clean. Takes forever to clean. Im using 85gn Nosler BT's in a factory Sako 1:10" twist barrel. Is this to short a bullet for this twist rate causing shredding in the barrel? They seem to to shoot really well!

Cheers
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Gold Member

Re: Excess copper in barrel. Effects of too fast a twist rate?

I don't think that your fouling problem is caused by bullet characteristics or your twist rate. I think the most likely culprit is the factory barrel. There is likely some roughness in the barrel that is causing your fouling problem. The barrel may smooth out with continued shooting and cleaning.

If not, you may wish to fire lap your barrel. I have had to do this with two of my rifles and had good results in both cases using Tubbs' Final Finish.

Where the cleaning is concerned, I would recommend a good foaming bore cleaner such as Wipeout. It will save you a lot of frustration and will get your barrel much cleaner with a lot less "elbow grease."
Old 07-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Excess copper in barrel. Effects of too fast a twist rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip300 View Post
I have a .25-06 AI that is a PITA to clean. Takes forever to clean. Im using 85gn Nosler BT's in a factory Sako 1:10" twist barrel. Is this to short a bullet for this twist rate causing shredding in the barrel? They seem to to shoot really well!

Cheers
No . the twist is fine.

I would recomend a good cleaning and then a strict break in process.

Factory barrels some times are bad about this and need to be broke in more than a custom
barrel.

I had a factory barreled 416 rem that was terrible and it took over 30 rounds of clean and
shoot to come around. Now it comes clean with very little effort and shoots twice as good
as before.

Do at least 10 shoot and clean and then shoot 3 and clean until it comes clean with only a
couple of solvent swabs and dry patches.

Even if it has had lots of rounds fired in it if it has never been through the break in process
it should get much better.

J E CUSTOM