Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Exbal vs other programs - recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Exbal vs other programs - recommendations

Michael,
It has been recommended that I use the current density altitude at a location when figuring the bullet drop and wind correction at any particular time. Density altitude takes virtually all the environmental conditions into consideration. Is this possible in your program and/or Exbal. I have thought that I would buy both and see which I like better. Does yours work on a Palm or pocket PC as well as a desktop? Please compare the two programs. Thanks.
Paul
Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I wouldnt ask me to compare the two. As the designer of TRA, I would be very bias.

I have thought about allowing use of density altitude, but it has not yet hit my drawing board. There have been too many other popular features to interface. As these become completed and the demand for DA increases, it will be interfaced as well.

As far as a palm version.... [ QUOTE ]
I have also completed a calculator for use on any handheld that runs excel. Its not as fancy as others but gives as accurate of data as the reloaders archive desk top program. Also it doesnt give you a huge chart. You enter the range to target and it gives you one figure in inches, clicks, MOA's, MILLS and NPR2 bars. In a hunting situation, this is better as it leaves less to be confuse with. A long drop chart is just plain fancy crap hunters dont need. Its not that it cant be done, I started out with a full on drop table and eliminated it for simplicity. Leave the fancy programs for a more calm enviornment. The best part about it is that from here on, it comes free with TRA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Michael,
Enough said. Very honest! Sorry. Thanks much. I'm just trying to get out of the ignorant stage.
God bless,
Paul
Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

BTW,

The latest trial is uploaded and now available on my site. It runs smoothly instead of shutting down every few minutes.

With a differant type of security used in this trial, some items wont be able to be printed and the range card functions wont work. Other than that, at least a guy can actually use it for a while and get familiar with it.

Any ??'s email me.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Michael:

The 4000 yard drop charts are great. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If anyone is interested, you can set the start range to 100, use 25 yard increments and get 25 yard increments out to 1000, set it at 1000 and 25 and get 25 yard increments out to 2000, set it at 2000 and 25 or 3000 and 25 and also get the 25 yard increments out to 3000 and 4000 yards.

Thanks for your help and continuing to improve an already great product. Customer service and support is as good as it gets. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Dick,

just curious, what is the "XXX" BC all about??

Thank you for your support.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Michael:

The XXX was input after the calculations were done and thus it affects nothing. It's there because the "XXX" will hopefully eliminate the "BS" about the actual "BC" that I use and have proven in my equipment.