Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

EXBAL vs Field Firing Solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: EXBAL vs Field Firing Solutions

Having never owned a PDA, what should I look for as far as minimum memory, processor, etc? It looks like I should get one that runs MS Windows.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Having never owned a PDA, what should I look for as far as minimum memory, processor, etc? It looks like I should get one that runs MS Windows.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, It's impossible to have the same features of a desktop-based application on a PDA.

The primary issue being the form-factor.

90% of the available applications need to be stripped-down ( take a look at the MS Pocket Word or MS Pocket Excel versions as a good example ).

PDAs for sure will increase their power in the near future in terms of memory/processor but the form-factor should remain the same, if they want us to still call them PDAs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On the other hand, nice as they are, ( I have one too ), I still prefer to use a PC-based application to create "Field Charts". They don't run out of batteries, they don't get wet and fail, etc, etc.

On the other hand, once a trajectory is being computed, one simply run the same set for another set of environment conditions or if not known, use the "standard conditions" at the altitude of interest and for shots not beyond 600/700 yards, you are ready to go.

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 06-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Get the Dell AXIOM 30 and you're set..........