Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

EXBAL vs Field Firing Solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: EXBAL vs Field Firing Solutions

Well that was dumb [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Its nowonder I can't hit anything. I never know if I cranking the bolt to load or unload [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Read Shawn's stuff here: Link
Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]

The biggest difference between a palm and a pocket pc is that the Palm based unit can be bought in only black and white display (Which can easily be seen in shooting light and not seen well without back lite at night. While the pocket PC will be color and can't easily be seen in day light and is too damn bright at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy,

The Palm PDAs have had color screens available for several years now...

I'm currently using a Palm Tungsten E (color screen) w/ Exbal... pretty accurate, given the right inputs. Not sure if another program might be better or more efficient, as I haven't messed with any others for a while. I know there are those who sing the praises of ATRAG, as well as FFS, and there is a free/shareware bal program floating around the 'Net that seems fairly functional as well.

Monte
Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Duh, I knew that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But I think the B/W would be easier to see during shooting hours.

I'm messing around with a thing called Sure Shot at the moment. Seems quite reasonable in all areas, so far. Haven't used it in the field yet. Just got a first shot at a decent drop chart out to 1200 yds yesterday.

Now I can start honing in on things a bit more.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Gold Member

I think what may make the difference is what PDA my wife gets me. I've been researching alot the the HP iPAQs using the MS windows OS. Even the EXBAL site curretly say they prefer the PDA's which run MS windows for an OS.

If push comes to shove I'll find a used/inexpensive iPAQ to only run a ballistic program; which ever one I get.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Gold Member

Roy,

Yes they are, and thats the beauty of it... if all you want the PDA for is a bal prog (I keep other stuff on it, though I don't use it *that* much) you can frequently find good condition used B&W ones on eBay fairly cheaply... or hit up a friend or co-worker who upgrades regularly for a deal on their old one.

Got a link to that 'Sure Shot' software?

Monte
Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

hold the cursor over the input fields and complete all 3 bc fields.

I used G1, whatever that means......LINK
Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

What would the minimum amount of memory needed to run the Exbal program?

Thanks,

Devin