Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

EXBAL vs Field Firing Solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

EXBAL vs Field Firing Solutions

I'm on the verge of buying my first PDA and ballistics program. Read much about how great EXBAL is. It's a contender. Over on snipershide.net, many extol the virtues of Field Firing Solution. I've read both their web sites. Both sound quite cabable of giving me what I want/need.

It seems the FFS has a couple of advantages, those being I can create my own turret and BC tables based upon my actual scope/s click adjustments and a bullets true performance in my rifle.

It seems a disadvantage is the FFS is non-Palm capatible. Having never owned a PDA, I'm not so sure that will be a limiting factor for me, except my wife knows I want a PDA for my birthday next month and she knows her brother is a techie and has numerous Palms he does not use; thus she might get one from him (cheap or free). I have a month+ to find out. Based upon what I get, my decision may be made for me.

Another thing, I searched my local electronic shops for Windows based PDA's; nada, nicht, none, no-where-to-be-found. It's all Palm unless I want to buy a pricey Treo cell phone and the monthly internet to go with it. "Ain't happnin"!

Opinions?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: EXBAL vs Field Firing Solutions

Go here for a great read on info on Exbal. It looks user friendly to me.

I think it runs on either a Palm or Pocket PC Personal Data Assistant (PDA)

Search the internet for 'pocket pc' or IPaq......

The biggest difference between a palm and a pocket pc is that the Palm based unit can be bought in only black and white display (Which can easily be seen in shooting light and not seen well without back lite at night. While the pocket PC will be color and can't easily be seen in day light and is too damn bright at night.

Results and ease of use are what you want. I'd go with the palm device.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Bronze Member

I bougth a palm for EXBAL use on ebay for $27.00 that included shipping.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

As I type this, my older Palm is synched to my XP based desk top. It is loaded with both Horus and Pejsa and right at the bottom is a small screen whose upper right corner is brightness contol-three settings cover 99% of scenarios. It has a Pellican "Can't Destroy" carrying case; 100% waterproof. Bot it on E-Bay el cheapo.. Overbore [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Just for S&Gs I downloaded the FFS program and installed it. 30 day trial. No workie [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Another + for exbal is its 1/2 the price of the FFS.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Tell your wife to get you a PDA then get the Exbal program and don't look back. Me and my wife were sharing the use of her PDA and we almost started world war III. I finally got her a Treo and took ownership of her HP Ipaq. She was happy and so am I.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Gold Member

Roy,

[ QUOTE ]
Go here for a great read on info on Exbal. It looks user friendly to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]