Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Exbal- sight ht.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

Exbal- sight ht.

On the Exbal program it asks for the scope height above the bore of the rifle. I didn't notice anything about using a straight base or an incline base. Do you still just plug in your basic sight-in numbers and go from there? I guess the angle of the base doesn't really matter...it comes down to the angle of the bore in regard to the postion of the retical.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Soren,

Tho I don't use Exbal yet, I've read that the sight height matters.

With slanted bases its a bit difficult bout doable.

Determine the diameter of the end bell.
Determine the diameter of the barrel
Determine the distance from the top of the end bell to the bottom of the barrel.

Then: Distance from bottom of barrel to top of bell - (1/2 End Bell dia. + 1/2 barrel diameter) will give a good start.

Then shoot drops and adjust BC etc to get close. Then, as was said by someone on here, fudge the sight height to get spot on.

Hope this helps...:confused:
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

I measure my scope hieght from the center (length wise) of the scope and this has worked perfectly for me so far.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

I was really wondering if having a cant on the scope(ex. using a 20moa base) really changes how the program works. I know that the center of the lens to the center of bore is a fixed measurement. But if you had two rifles same cal. and such, same bore/sight ht, and both zeroed at 100 yards; but one uses a 20 moa base and the other has a level base. Will equal come-ups cause the same results regarding shot placement.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

I'll go to the far edge of my thinking on this one.

All things being equal, exactly equal, except for the cant of the base, after 100 yd zero is precisely set, the zero settings on the elevation turret will differ. However, the number of clicks for a given yardage other than the 100 yd zero will be exactly the same.

I've never tho't that far ahead, thus any corrections would be appreciated.

Me thinks it "has" to be that way or MOA per click would vary with the scope cant.:confused:
Old 06-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Not to stomp on this thread but Roy you said you don't use Exbal yet. Is this because you don't have a Palm & software?

Do you have a serial port on the back of your computer? The exact opposite of the one your monitor uses.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

MagMan,

I have nothing but sorry excuses. I have a PC server, A Mac Mini a supper hootie lap top and a pocket pc with tons of software on the pocket pc. Mapping, GPS, GIS etc.

As soon as I get to where I need Exbal or some such, which should be later this summer I'll snap up on it. So far my spread sheets on the pocket pc do just fine if I remember to punch in the atmospheric conditions. That is to say that it works well at "the range" but will need Exbal when I hit the hunting slopes.

Oh yea, I use RSI on the laptop. Really good but no version for pocket PC.

Now back to the scope height topic.......:o