Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Exbal or LoadBase ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Exbal or LoadBase ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy 1 View Post
One more question about Loadbase. For the program that is run on your handheld device do you download it from where you purchased it directly to your handheld or does it go to your pc then to the handheld? Just want to do it correct the first time.
Thanks
Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier my home computer stroked out on the ads on this site, work laptop has software to block them so it works much better.

You'll load via a sync program from desk top to PPC, just fallow the prompts.

Drag is a fine tune function for BC more or less, it seems it you have to adjust more than 10% then you have an other input that needs to be more accurate.

Angle to line of sight is the one thing I struggle with, LB's method is more accurate than using the o'clock method but not as easy for my brain to lock in on. I'll have to look at my PPC to give the best advice on it as it tells you as you move it what direction the wind is coming from. The target angle is in two areas one for direction of travel of movers I believe and the other is target angle to you for ranging as a function in the PPC.

I rarely use Field charts due to the fact I'm packing the PPC but the one your looking at is for field ranging you targets, you set it up for target size and what unit your reticule ranges in, mrad, moa or iphy. I set the wind value to 5mph then print one of from my one gong for trying to range and cold bore hit using my reticule, I suck at it and grab the laser!

The reticule hold over function is excellent!!! Have used it with great success and like it a lot. When hunting I set my data at the hunting area then pull up the reticule chart and go hunting, that way if something is long but needs fast correction I hit one button and I have the data I need.

Go slow with LB you can bog your self down because it has so much depth to it and stuff that is cool but that can get you head spinning before you get the fundamentals locked down. READ THE MANUAL, it is very good and has very good info in it and will give you better answers than I will, but I can try to help, also Eaglet is a guru on LB and my tech support! Phorwath is very good with it as well and done some interesting things with it.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I have both and use the Exbal --- Loadbase is too difficult to use. I do not see that product as being around in the long term.
Sorry that you found it difficult, I would agree that LB is not easy at first and does have a learning curve to it, but once past that I've found it easier to use in the field than Exbal simply because of being able to update the range and wind values on the solution screen without flipping to other pages the back to the solution window.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
You must have a version I don't for your PPC, I'm running 6.5 which as far as I can tell is the latest version still for sale and does not support G-7 BC's but does support multiple BC's which a guy can get about the same thing done with. The desk top version does however support G-7 but that does not help me out having one version differ from an other in how you input vital data.

The desk top PC version is the one that I was refering to, Exbal 10.0

Last edited by jwp475; 11-17-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

bigngreen
You are not kidding there is a lot in this program. It is not just put a few numbers in and you are done. The reticle one if accurate is a great tool.
Thanks For The Answers
Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
bigngreen
You are not kidding there is a lot in this program. It is not just put a few numbers in and you are done. The reticle one if accurate is a great tool.
Thanks For The Answers
LB does not need any more data than other programs to give good corrections but what it has is the ability to add a whole lot more into the correction if you choose, don't let if scare you the core of it is just as simple as anything else! I've found it great as I start with a rifle I just work on core data, then I'll add spin drift, then maybe multiple winds in spots I know I need it, it can be just a simple ballistics program for good corrections or it can be a total ballistics solution. For what you get it is a steal at the price you pay, IMO!!
I'm super jacked to start using the GPS and Kestrel functions on the PPC version
The reticule charts are the same data as the main firing solution so it is as accurate as any other correction it will give you which is dependent on you giving it good data.
Good luck with it, and dig into the manual!!!!

Old 11-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and purchased LB 3.0 but that does not mean I will not get exbal also.
Thanks Again
You made the right decision. I'm convinced you bought the very best on the market
right now. It's really easy to use if you have an idea of what you're doing and amazingly accurate. I'll try to answer more as I have time. For now let me just say as an owner of both programs for many years, they can not be compared. There simply is no comparison.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Great thread.
In the past I have found the information Eaglet and others have posted on LB to be to techy and over my head, so I have stayed with Exbal and my Dell Axim.
But maybe this winter I need to take a closer look at LB. Its seems the learning curve on this system is more difficult , but maybe worth it once you get thru it.
I wonder if Eaglet or someone would be willing to start a dedicated thread about LB as a tutorial(instructional) going thru functions of the system. Maybe go thru one function of the system a week, with no written responses to the thread to keep it from getting cluttered. That way , us simple laymen can practice on that function for the week until the next lesson. As I am a simple ditch digger, technically challenged, I would find this very helpful, and would look into buying the system.