Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Exbal or LoadBase ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Exbal or LoadBase ?

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and purchased LB 3.0 but that does not mean I will not get exbal also.
Thanks Again
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

One thing I will ad in closing. I have noticed that with smaller calibers... my 6mmbr specifically, past 900 yards I need to add a few moa to my elevation. But I have not tried to correct this since the little 6mm bullet has slowed to a point that I would not try to take game due to lack of energy. But to 800 Yards it is spot on. BnG was your experience with needing to add elevation past 1000 with a smaller cal too?
Jeff
Jeff, I've only noticed it with lighter cals but so far that's all I have to work with till I have 169.5 Wildcat bullets for my 270 WSM, then I can play with you guys, they'll hit transonic within a hundred yards of your Lapua
It seems that when the parachute comes out on these lighter cals the multiple BC is a must have with Exbal. I did my trajectoy validation at 300yds, 590, 735 and I think if I take my gong out and add a 1000yrds it would extend my range without multiple BC's, as it is I have a berm at 1030yrds and Exbal don't like anything over 1000 for validating, but I can see why, because after that it would not be able to adjust with only a velocity adjustment.

Willy 1, I think you'll like Loadbase 3.0, did you buy the whole bundle or just the PPC version?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Bronze Member

bigngreen
I purchased both parts pc and handheld. Also a Dell axim 51v. I have a few questions about some of the terms in loadbase. These are in the ballistics portion.
1- Drag Coefficent where do you come up with that?
2- Angle to line of sight in the wind and target parameters. In the wind portion I am taking it the 180 degrees whould be at 12 oclock. And the same for the target.
3- In the field charts under firing charts the first colum is mrad target moa or iphy can you give me a explanation about that?
4- have you tried the reticle hold and if so is it accurate it looks like a great tool for if you are in a hurry hunting and don't have time to dial in.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Jeff, I've only noticed it with lighter cals but so far that's all I have to work with till I have 169.5 Wildcat bullets for my 270 WSM, then I can play with you guys, they'll hit transonic within a hundred yards of your Lapua
It seems that when the parachute comes out on these lighter cals the multiple BC is a must have with Exbal. I did my trajectoy validation at 300yds, 590, 735 and I think if I take my gong out and add a 1000yrds it would extend my range without multiple BC's, as it is I have a berm at 1030yrds and Exbal don't like anything over 1000 for validating, but I can see why, because after that it would not be able to adjust with only a velocity adjustment.

Willy 1, I think you'll like Loadbase 3.0, did you buy the whole bundle or just the PPC version?

The latest version of Exball has the ability to use either G-1 or G-7 drag coefficients
Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Bronze Member

One more question about Loadbase. For the program that is run on your handheld device do you download it from where you purchased it directly to your handheld or does it go to your pc then to the handheld? Just want to do it correct the first time.
Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
The latest version of Exball has the ability to use either G-1 or G-7 drag coefficients
You must have a version I don't for your PPC, I'm running 6.5 which as far as I can tell is the latest version still for sale and does not support G-7 BC's but does support multiple BC's which a guy can get about the same thing done with. The desk top version does however support G-7 but that does not help me out having one version differ from an other in how you input vital data.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

I have both and use the Exbal --- Loadbase is too difficult to use. I do not see that product as being around in the long term.