Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Exbal help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Bronze Member
Exbal help

I have the palm pilot version on the way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but have no idea which palm to purchase. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Can anyone give me a recomendation ? Ive been looking on E Bay, and they have a ton of them, but which one? which model? Have been looking at a palm pilot zire 21, is this a good one?
Point me in the right direction. Thanks Bob

Unread 05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Gold Member
Re: Exbal help

The 21 is what I went with,it was cheap and is all I really needed.
The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms -Samuel Adams
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

I also went with the Palm Zire 21. I did some looking on e-bay but bought a new one for $80.00. That and the $70.00 for Exbal and thatís all thatís needed.

I have gone the expensive Pocket PC route before and spent several hundred dollars just for the pc but always worried about carrying it hunting and possibly losing it. Now, if I did lose the Palm at least it wonít bother me as much. The Palms are typically cheaper than the Pocket PC units also. This unit, for me, is used for only one purpose and thatís running Exbal.

I think you will be happy with the Zire if you choose to go that route. About the only time it might be a problem would be if you tried to use it in the dark since itís not backlit but I can live with that inconvenience.

Good luck with whatever you choose and Iím sure youíll be glad you have Exbal in the field with you.
Unread 05-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Following advice from the guru's here on this site, I found and purchased a palm III and a palm V from e-bay. They were around $20 and work great so far. The advice I was given and now agree with is that there is no need to spend a bunch of money on an expensive palm. The exbal requires very little memory and as stated, if I smash/break a $20 palm, I won't cry about it.
Become sheep and the wolves will eat you!
Unread 06-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

Look for Compaq Ipaqs on Ebay also. They are usually selling for only about $50 more than the Zire and can do a few more things.

On my Ipaq, I can make audio recordings of range notes (like a known elevation for a given rifle range) and there is a infared communication to my home pc so I can transfer load data or new range trajectories for figuring new bc's.

It also has internet hookup capability, a photo album, and I can even turn up the volume on my stereo with it! Very nice stuff to have for just a little more dough. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Unread 11-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

I am looking to go to ExBal route on a Palm type unit. I have drop charts on paper, but this does sound a bunch cleaner.

Have any of you had probelms with very cold batteries after it has been your pack for a while?

Sometimes we have problems with GPS and even flashlight life can go in the tank.

I guess you could keep it in your pocket.

Unread 11-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

To those who have this program, how do you like it? Can you put in any cartrige that you have?

"Let the good times roll"