Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

ershaws barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 03:37 PM

ershaws barrels

I am looking a buying a 6mm barrel with the helical fluting from ershaw, is this a good choice?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: ershaws barrels

Er Shaw barrels are good entry level stuff, by no means high quality. Remember you get what you pay for. If you can spend a few more $, get a better barrel. The bores are pretty rough. The ones i have put on shoot ok.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

I've seen a few of their barrels on guns that ER Shaw did the barreling and they all shot ok , probably better than a factory tube but no where near match quality probably in the 3/4 to 1 moa mark with factory ammo.
I've never had to clean one so I can't comment on their internal quality.
ive also used a couple Adams & Bennit barrels and they were ok , an upgrade from the factory barrels anyway.

Once you get a quality tube your ruined and relize that they are worth ever penny , so long as their installed properly anyway.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Yotkiller,

I have fitted several lower priced barrels for customers that did not want to spend the money on top end barrels. THere have been a few shaw barrels and alot of A&B barrels.

TO be honest, I have yet to have one not hold right at 1/2 moa fitting them to a properly set up receiver with good bedding. In fact the very first rifle I ever built was on a commercial Mauser M98 receiver that my wife bought me for a Christmas gift. The barrel I used was an A&B barrel and chambered it in 6.5-06 AI. That rifle will shoot sub 1/2 moa groups all day long with the 140 gr A-Max at 3050 fps.

IT did however take A LONG TIME to break in that barrel but when it did it has performed extremely well.

If the machining is top notch most of these barrels will shoot, the variation you get is in the bore finish as BD408 has correctly stated. Some will break in well, some take a long time and some will have to be cleaned every 15 rounds for their entire life.

What you get with a top end match barrel is that you know every barrel you buy will be finely lapped and more then likely a great shooter with every barrel you fit.

It is a crap shoot with these lower priced barrels. I am not saying every one of these barrels will be a 1/2 moa rifle because they will not. The main risk you take is getting a barrel with a poor bore finish and that risk is relatively high with the lower priced barrels such as the Shaw and A&B barrels.

You would be much better off to save up for a couple extra months and invest in a top end barrel blank. You will be much happier in the end with your rifle.

Just my opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-04-2006, 10:27 AM

guys thanks for the info. I am also looking a at a barrel from Rock creek barrels,have you guys had any experince with this barrels.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

I've got two both is 30 cal and both shoot awsome , clean realy easly and harly foul after about the 10th break in shot the velocitys easly exceed the factory listed ones so I guess that their is some thueth to the 5R rifleing being a bit faster.. I've also got a Obermayer barrel with the 5R rifeling and its a great tube also very fast barrel. Rock Creek barrels are on the top of the heap with Lilja , Hart and Kreiger.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Bronze Member

My friend and I just built semi-customs using Shaw barrels. We have each fired about 100rds. Mine is a 280 on a Mauser. His is a 257 on a 700SA. Mine is a 280. His shoots everything under an inch. I've tried Partitions, Ballistic tips and Game kings. Pt's shoot about 1.25-1.6. It was my first choice as it shoots well in my 7x57 and the one I tried it first. I then tried the Gamekings and BTs. All shoot less than an inch. The best so far is .282, alth.ough the stars were probably all alligned on that one. We do not weigh/seperate brass or bullets. These are .80" barreled 'sendero' type rifles. We have about $700-$800 in our guns. They are made to hunt with not for targets. If I were building a $2000, gun I might go with a more expensive barrel, but for long range field gun I sing the praises of my Shaw. capt david [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]