Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Energy requirements?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Energy requirements?

I fully agree. As an Instructor we teach all our students to stay well within their abilities and that of their equipment.

We always love to get those in class with the 3" mag slug guns, high end scopes stating how they can shoot 150-200 yds with it. then when we get to the range and you have them take 3 shots at their longest distance they feel they can hit and three shots at 20-30yds which is more realistic of what is going to happen in the field the targets speak volumes to the class and to the individual.

Its at that point the "lights" come on and you know you just got through to them.

For me LR shooting means learning the skills, techniques and equipment needed to make such shots. My drive and motivation is to learn and have the ability someday to make such shots. I could care less if I were to never shoot at game at that range, but rather to know I possess the ability would be as rewarding. I think just being able to ding a piece of steel at that distance would be just as rewarding. (and one heck of a hoot) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Its got to give you folks a sense of accomplishment to know that you posses a skill many want and few can accomplish.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:04 PM

Shadowman, I live in Orange County NY, about 1 hr from NYC. I hunt the farm down the road in a semi-subarban area and I can use my rifle. When I go upstate to Schoharie, Herkimer, and Otsego counties where I'm on 500+ acre properties I have to use my shotgun? These are rural areas....Ridiculous!

There is talk of lifting the shotgun only rules but the liberals in this state will never pass the bill. So my longest range weapon is my muzzleloader.

Funny thing is I have a great spot on this farm about 1 mile from my house where I can safely shoot about 400 yards, but it gets so much pressure that I hardly ever see any game.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Johnny, I know right where ya live. Use to live in Middletown and worked as restaurant manager of the travel center down there years ago.

Between the politicians and the yuppies NY is getting worse.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Shadowman,
I have a different problem than yours, You have a hard time finding a place to shoot long range and I have never even shot a slug gun ,you need to come west to hunt and I would love to come east and check things out
B
Old 12-11-2004, 07:45 PM

Shadowman, I'm going upstate to schoharie county next week end for some Muzzleloader hunting. It's pretty piss poor over here. Too much pressure.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Brain, I can't believe you have never fired a slug gun. Trust me if we were to swap places i would have the better end of the deal by a "long shot".(no pun intended)

If you want to know what its like all you have to do is remove that soft cushy recoil pad from the end of one of your magnum rifles. And take a few shots with just a tee on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe not that bad but pretty darn close. Just ask my 20 yr old son who shot my friends browning which has a nice steel but plate.

One shot put a beautiful tattoo of the browning logo on his shoulder and left it brown for a few days.(LOLOL) true story

If ya ever make it to NY i'll be more than happy to take ya to the range. Its short in lenght but we'll still have a blast.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

John, its been a strange yr around here. I am a bow tech at one of the local shops at night and have had the chance to talk with hundereds of hunters from all over and they all seem to say the same thing.

They are just not as abundant as they were last year. Last yr i seen over a dozen 8 and bigger this year nothing over 6 except the 8 my daughter got but most just spikes. Good luck.