Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

enee menee miny moe, which barrel maker do I go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: enee menee miny moe, which barrel maker do I go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I don't know what is up at Shilen, but they have had my money since April and I have yet to see my 6.5x284 barrel. I have 3 other Shilen barrels that I have no complaint with and they were all supplied in a "reasonable" amount of time, but this 6.5 is getting to be beyond a joke. If I cancel it will be the last one I ever order from them. 7 months vs a typical 6-8 weeks ???
You should give them a credit card then they bill you when they ship it. At least that's what Brux has done in the past.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Benchmark is having a group buy (sale) right now. According to them, they get them out fast and I've heard they shoot very well.

Benchmark Barrels- Barrel Blank buy
Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

We do have a group buy running now. I would run the 9 twist, those what we sell the most of even for traditional 270's running 130-140 gr'ers and they rock!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I don't know what is up at Shilen, but they have had my money since April and I have yet to see my 6.5x284 barrel. I have 3 other Shilen barrels that I have no complaint with and they were all supplied in a "reasonable" amount of time, but this 6.5 is getting to be beyond a joke. If I cancel it will be the last one I ever order from them. 7 months vs a typical 6-8 weeks ???
Krieger told me a year when I contacted them early last year about a bbl.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard the 6-8 week story every time I called. I was also charged the full cost at the time of sale. As I said, I got 3 out of 4 without an issue, but #3 has not made it yet. Shilen did make a totally custom 8x57 varmint barrel in a surprisingly short time. I thought that was going to be the one I would wait on, but no - it was the popular 6.5 barrel instead.

I added my report, since most buyers would not expect a Looooooong delay on a common chambering.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Ok, so its down to Hart and Benchmark. so...... what length barrel? Some one else suggested 28 inch.. Any thoughts??
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkat3270wsm View Post
Ok, so its down to Hart and Benchmark. so...... what length barrel? Some one else suggested 28 inch.. Any thoughts??
If you are narrowed down b/w those two, I strongly URGE you to go with a Hart. I totally agree with the someone else that recommended 28".