Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

enee menee miny moe, which barrel maker do I go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

enee menee miny moe, which barrel maker do I go?

Ok, need a bit of advise. there is Lilja, Hart, Shilen,McGowen ,Shaw,Brux. They are all about the same price, most are about 8-10wks lead time, Brux is 6 months.
Some you can get fluted(smile),some not. So..., my question.
Which one do i get?????????
I am looking at 4-6 groove, Stainless Steel, .277cal,10-12 twist. will be shooting 175 grain Matrix. Please give me some help. Your experience, good or bad. will be purchasing sometime early 2014, income tax..
Also need advise if I should stick with 1-10 or go up for the heavier bullets.
Barrel length is another ?. 26 inch,or longer.
This will be a paper, Whistle pig, 400-? rig. looking at 1.25 at the breech to .8** at the business end.
I have been following this site since 2010, this is what you guys live for, and I am trying to learn.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: enee menee miny moe, which barrel maker do I go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkat3270wsm View Post
Ok, need a bit of advise. there is Lilja, Hart, Shilen,McGowen ,Shaw,Brux. They are all about the same price, most are about 8-10wks lead time, Brux is 6 months.
Some you can get fluted(smile),some not. So..., my question.
Which one do i get?????????
I am looking at 4-6 groove, Stainless Steel, .277cal,10-12 twist. will be shooting 175 grain Matrix. Please give me some help. Your experience, good or bad. will be purchasing sometime early 2014, income tax..
Also need advise if I should stick with 1-10 or go up for the heavier bullets.
Barrel length is another ?. 26 inch,or longer.
This will be a paper, Whistle pig, 400-? rig. looking at 1.25 at the breech to .8** at the business end.
I have been following this site since 2010, this is what you guys live for, and I am trying to learn.
Thanks,
Craig
Craig,

Marshal of Matrix recommends 1:8 for the 175s and 1:9 for the 165s. However, others are reporting getting by with 1:10". I have a 30" 1:8", 3-groove in My budget .270 AI ... and am very pleased with it.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

I have Lilja, Hart, and Shilen currently in use. No problems with any. I have a Brux blank ready for a build. Don't have the others. You are wanting to shoot a big bullet for .277 cal so take note of the post above. I don't know if any of the other bbl makers will do a custom twist for you. My Hart bbl was ready in about 3 months. Don't think you'd go wrong with any really. My top choices would be Hart, Brux, Krieger, and Bartlein.

Since the contour specs you list appear to be a heavy bbl, I'd go 28" and flute it.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

There is a Benchmark group buy going on with 6 week delivery time I believe
Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

You'll need to twist up a little, at 6000 feet I can stabilize the 165 and 175 Matrix in a 1-10, you may get away with the 165's at your elevation with a 1-10 but really a Feenix nailed it!
I know Benchmark has experience with these bullets!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Bronze Member

For what its worth I have Hart, Brux, Douglas, PacNor, McGowan, and a Kreiger. All shoot good, with no complaints; but the folks at Hart had an unbelievable effort to CS, before, during, and even a year after they sent my rifle back!! The guys there were, great but Karen was a pleasure to talk to and deal with.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Gold Member

I don't know what is up at Shilen, but they have had my money since April and I have yet to see my 6.5x284 barrel. I have 3 other Shilen barrels that I have no complaint with and they were all supplied in a "reasonable" amount of time, but this 6.5 is getting to be beyond a joke. If I cancel it will be the last one I ever order from them. 7 months vs a typical 6-8 weeks ???