Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

End of the Line for Lead Bullets???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

End of the Line for Lead Bullets???

End of the line for the lead bullet? Regulations, bans force switch to 'green' ammo | Fox News
Old 12-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: End of the Line for Lead Bullets???

Nice article but written as a scare tactic.

The source of lead will most probably come from Mexico.

Between Obama and the EPA things have been going wrong for years and continue to escalate in a downward spiral.

I could almost see the need to move from lead to a nontoxic shot for water fowl, almost but not quite.

There is a movement, and has been since the beginning, and I mean the "beginning" to screw every good thing up.

One of these days it will come to its logical conclusion.

For once I'm pleased that I'm old but hope I've instilled enough 'moxie" in my kids that rubs off on the grandkids to help them to get through those times.

I have great faith in the "good" American people.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Roy. I was hoping someone would comment on where the bullet manufacturers were going to get their lead from.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

Scare tactic or not the message is there , I always try to stay ahead !
Have been snagging every box of LRX's in 6.5, 30, 338 and 375 cal .. also GMX's
stopped by a place that had 6 boxes of 250 gr 375 cal GMX bullets with a two box limit, yep ya guessed it, after 3 trips into the store to different registers I went home with all 6 boxes,

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 AM

The ammo companies have said that they don't use new lead, they only use recycled lead. The NRA dug into this and said the closure of the lead smelter shouldn't have a significant impact.

NRA-ILA | U.S. Ammunition Industry to Survive Closure of Lead Smelter
Old 12-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think lead bullets are going anywhere soon but I do believe that there is an underhanded/back door movement on the part of our @*~^~ up government to use the EPA to regulate guns and ammunition out of existence. They can't get the democratic process to do it s they go around it. Today, the suppliers have alternate approaches, but they are very likely to be cut off in the future. My company is being forced to spend millions of $$$ to rework our electronic components that contain minute amounts of EPA banned substances(lead included), and our government doesn't give a crap. We have to pass the cost on to the customer. 10 years ago all the pundits in our industry gave the all the reasons why this won't happen and the various alternatives just like the shooting associations and manufacturers are doing to us today. Human nature is to latch onto hope. Don't ever believe this BS. I used to load 5000+ shot shells a year. Stopped five years ago. Check the price(and quality) of 25# of lead shot. Also bought 22 ammo for 50 years, through a couple of wars without even giving a thought to supply or cost. We won't have an availability issue, we will be priced, regulated, and taxed out of our sport. Hoarding might help if you are over 60 years old, but it's a dead end. Unless the 25+ million shooters in this country start making their voices heard. Right now, less than 20% do. Sorry for the rant.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Greyfox; 12-22-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Syntax
Old 12-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I don't think lead bullets are going anywhere soon but I do believe that there is an underhanded/back door movement on the part of our @*~^~ up government to use the EPA to regulate guns and ammunition out of existence. They can't get the democratic process to do it s they go around it. Today, the suppliers have alternate approaches, but they are very likely to be cut off in the future. My company is being forced to spend millions of $$$ to rework our electronic components that contain minute amounts of EPA banned substances(lead included), and our government doesn't give a crap. We have to pass the cost on to the customer. 10 years ago all the pundits in our industry gave the all the reasons why this won't happen and the various alternatives just like the shooting associations and manufacturers are doing to us today. Human nature is to latch onto hope. Don't ever believe this BS. I used to load 5000+ shot shells a year. Stopped five years ago. Check the price(and quality) of 25# of lead shot. Also bought 22 ammo for 50 years, through a couple of wars without even giving a thought to supply or cost. We won't have an availability issue, we will be priced, regulated, and taxed out of our sport. Hoarding might help if you are over 60 years old, but it's a dead end. Unless the 25+ million shooters in this country start making their voices heard. Right now, less than 20% do. Sorry for the rant.
Amen to all of that!
Plus, even if the ammo companies used recycled lead, if you reduce the sources for new lead, the overall price will go up, which will affect batteries, ammo, all lead products.
Also, get rid of USD lead forces & then you can tax/regulate foreign sources also. Elections have consequences, always have but this one will be the most impactfull ever!!