Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Encore/Pro Hunters owners/users Lend me your Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Encore/Pro Hunters owners/users Lend me your Experience

I'm new here so hi to you all

I would like to know your general views of this firearm?

Do you like the flex stock if you have one?

Do you use a thumbhole stock with flex? I have heard that heavy calibers can break your thumb.

Do you have any problems with using just one round or as it made you a better hunter?

What is the biggest caliber would you shoot given different stocks you can use?

What caliber or ML do you use or have?

Thank you all
Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Encore/Pro Hunters owners/users Lend me your Experience

A very cclose friend of mine has encores, contenders, and contender G2s, in just about any caliber you can think of from an octagon 22lr G2 pistol barrel to a 300wm pro hunter, 460 s&w 20" prohunter, 209x50 ml he has it all and loves them, they shoot pretty good, I reload a lot for him he really likes his 21" 7-30waters set up, I load 120nbts for him. They are fun to tinker with and and for hunting and what not, recoil is not that bad on any of them, I have shot his 45-70 10" pistol barrel, not bad but ya got to hold on to it. In a nutshell they are not as accurate as bolts guns, 2 reasons lock time, and the fact that your scope is mounted on top of the chamber (harmonics issue).
Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

what do you mean by lock time?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Lock time is the short time between when you pull the trigger and when it goes off, with a bolt gun the sear directly releases the firing pin when the trigger, on a single shot break down like the encore the trigger releases the hammer, then the hammer must travel forward and hit the firing pin, doesn't sound like a lot of time, and its not, its miliseconds, but its enough to flinh or pull more so than a bolt gun.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM

I have the prohunter. Have the .50 ML and .243 barrel. Acceptable accuracy with both. IMO the prohunter is best as a ML. I don't care for cocking hammer and for what I perceive as more recoil than bolt actions. Not a fan of any thumbhole stock. Factory trigger not very good. If shooting larger calibers use longer barrels. Recoil and buzzleblast is fierce with shorties. Upside is; lots of choices to change to when desired. Good Luck, TG.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
Lock time is the short time between when you pull the trigger and when it goes off, with a bolt gun the sear directly releases the firing pin when the trigger, on a single shot break down like the encore the trigger releases the hammer, then the hammer must travel forward and hit the firing pin, doesn't sound like a lot of time, and its not, its miliseconds, but its enough to flinh or pull more so than a bolt gun.
why is this a disadvantage?? if it's timing of the shot, would the shooter not get used to this???
Old 10-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Most people can get used to shooting almost any weapon, that does not change increased lock time, there will always be a larger margin for error.