Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ejection Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ejection Problem

Brent,

Here are your answers,

1. No access to chronograph. I've been shooting Black Hills and Federal Match grade. 190's at 2900 I believe.

2. The intitial bolt lift feels normal.

3. When I hit the extraction cam, it gets a bit difficult and then to pull the bolt back is very difficult. Again, the first 4-6 rounds of the day are fine. I will also have a couple of rounds later that might extract easily.

4.I'm probably shooting a shot every 1 -2 minutes.

5. I did clean the barrel, not the chamber before I fired it. What do you clean the chamber with?

6. I didn't break it in. Just 20 shots, then clean and 20 more then clean. Is it too late to break the barrel in?

One last piece of info. I was just messing with it and the spent cartridges are hard to chamber and extract. A hot cartridge goes in and out with no problem...very slick. To my naked eye, the chamber and barrel look clean.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:39 PM

Re: Ejection Problem

Not to late to breakin. Shoot 1 and clean with a good copper cleaner like sweets. I also use JB bore paste to clean the barrel. I think the JB helps to smooth out the rough marks a little faster than just copper cleaner and bullets. Do this till the cleaning process becomes very easy. I have done this on many guns, old and new, with no problems.