Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Effects of Rifle Canting on LR Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2003, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Effects of Rifle Canting on LR Accuracy

I've kind of got the 1 - 12 and 78 reciprical deal figured out, but I'm not sure the end result is correct, or not. Are we on the faster rate of deviation end of the angle range when we should be on the slower end for elevation, like the incline angle is? Brain freeze! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-26-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 09-26-2003, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Brent

I did these calculation quickly in Excel and there is the likelyhood that they are off a bit but that error sholdn't be more than 1 order of magnitude. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] They are more for concept and should probably be tweaked a bit...of course I could be all wet too.

Let's talk about this...

That is another one I'm not sure I'm seein completely, then again I ain't awake yet, or been through geometry either. 6" is more than this program figured so I don't know what to think yet. 1 - the cosine of 12... what is "1" and why are we subtracting the cosine of 12 from it to get the vertical error, that is the part I'm missing, probably some more too. Wish I knew more geometry, I have a feeling I'll figure it out but I'm having a serious brain freeze right now.

I used a graphic example to visualize the error/deviation propogation. Get a 8 x 11 sheet of paper... I'll wait.......................... Okay.

Fold the paper in half in both planes (quarter the paper to get reference marks). Use one of your handy CD's and place the center of the spindle hole over the central intersection on the opened sheet of paper. Draw a circle on the paper using the CD's outer edge as a guide. You should now have a circle and in it's center a 90 degree intersection of the fold marks. Call this central intersection the muzzle of the rifle. Call the intersection of the line (fold) going in the 12 oclock direction and the line draw on the outer edge of the CD the POI of the bullet OR the central point in the rifles' scope. For a -0- cant solution the "drop" is directly downward (relative) on the 12 o'clock line...back toward the muzzle. For a canted shot we need to move the POI or POA in the direction of the cant and then plot a line perpendicular to the "drop" line (the 12 o'clock line from the muzzle) AND a line perpendicular to the horizontal line. The vertical line will intersect the horizontal line and indicate the windage deviation... the horizontal line will intersect the vertical line and indicate the elevation deviation. I'll need to scan in a graphic as it'll be too confusing to verbally explain this.

Sorry... gotta run again. Let me know if this helps or hinders.

[ 09-26-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 09-26-2003, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Perfect example Dave! You basically painted a picture of what I was visualizing taking place, so I'm right with you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I see the 30 and 70 as I saw the 12 and 78 so here's what I was trying to say in my last post; The vertical error is more pronounced in the later part of the cant, or more error per degree, while the windage is more pronounced from the onset as you said.

Gotta run for now...
Old 09-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Either way or both ways, cant will kill your shot, not the quarry. I think most deal with it fairly well on paper with grids assuming they are in fact properly oriented. In the field or other targets, not so good.