Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Effects of rain on light projectiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Re: Effects of rain on light projectiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkodiak View Post
would love to see pics of the rain and it's effect on the bullet. if you find them
I have a picture and video.

Here is the picture of me hitting a raindrop.

That little cloud is the hit on a raindrop.

Here is a video I took today shooting in the rain;

I made the video as a response to a post on another firearms forum and remembered this thread.
If the rain is heavy enough and dependent on how many raindrop strikes made, and where along the bullet path the drops are stricken, a great POI shift can be noticed.

The video shows my 2 shots this morning with the Winchester 94 30-30, at a 7 inch target, 350 yards downrange, in the freezing rain; I missed the first shot, but tagged it on the second.

The first shot hit a raindrop within 100 yards of the muzzle so it had a big difference on the POI downrange. I aimed exactly as I would have if I was shooting in clear weather and hit about 12 inches low.

The second shot I aimed higher by about 12 inches expecting to hit raindrops, and expecting a drop in velocity and in turn POI.
On the second shot I hit 2 raindrops, one looked to be about at the midway point, the other very close to the target, (hard to see in the video,) so they did have an effect, but probably not as much as the first shot.

I have shot in the rain a lot, when it is light rain the odds of hitting raindrops aren't too great, so you may not see a POI shift. In a heavy rain you are going to hit at least one drop, dependent on how close to the target it is will dictate how much of a POI shift there may be.

I never would have known how little of a chance there was in hitting a raindrop, if I didn't record my shots.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

The mathematical odds of hitting a rain drop, in even in a heavy rain to 100 yds are extremely small. Not impossible but extremely small.

Cool video Justgoto

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Cool video Justgoto
Thank you!

I made another after the rain subsided as to rule out other conditions.

I used the same POA as the first shot in the first video, and hit about 2 inches from the second shot's POI. I'm convinced the raindrops made for a profound POI deviation.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

That change in POI is quite interesting for sure. I'll have to do some rain testing myself someday. Good thing we don't get much rain here Montana

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

Thats amazing.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

I've made a video testing the POI of bullets hitting drops of water as opposed to those not hitting water... I thought it might be of interest.

Specifics:
Howa 1500 30-06
Hornady 150gr FMJ, 2600fps
Varget 46.6gr
CCI 200
Winchester case
300 yards
Dropper devise 260 yards from target

Shots 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9; hit water drops. They make an 8 inch group.
Shots 1, 2, 7, and 10; did not hit drops. They make a 1.5 inch group.
The group that hit water drops, is over 5 times the size of the group that didn't.

Note:
I thought shot 8 missed a drop, otherwise I would have taken shot 9 without water as I did shot 10. I couldn't see the water hits on the camera so I speculated from the POIs on how many hits on drops I had accomplished.

I had preformed this test before; but it was very hard to see the hits in the other video, you can see the hits on drops in this video perfectly.
The other video basically mirrors this test.

I also wanted to note that a drop of water seems to simply deflect the bullets. I expected the POI height to be lower due to a velocity reduction; I don't think that is the case anymore. The POI shift appears to be random which denotes simple deflection.

Last edited by justgoto; 03-28-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: additional ovservation, typo
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Nice video