Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Effectiv range for game???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Effectiv range for game???

Are their any guidlines for max effective distance for long range shooting espically for lower mass bullets? Just starting loading my 243 win with berger 95's and Im sure ive got enough energy and velocity at 500 for antelope, but thinking about further. Berger list that their vlds do expand (???) for LRH but no min velocities for expansion. Seems live all that is ever considered in LRH that ive seen so far is supersonic speed for accuracy. Aim for the spine ;^)???
Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Robbor ,

You can go to Big Game Info - A resource for the big game hunter they have an opinion i guess you'd call it in their software.

Personally i'd say a 95 berger out of a 243 would whack a pronghorn pretty good ..
Old 09-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Robbor; There are guys on this site that know a whole lot more than I do about effective range, but I'll start it off. Velocity is only a part of it, but you're right about staying supersonic. I've used the rule of energy to determine maximum hunting range for a bullet. It is 1000 ft# min energy for whitetail size game and 2000 ft# for elk size game. That rule will allow you to take lung shots with confidence, and not have to try to hit the spine. Run the exterior ballistics on your pet load and pick off the ranges where the energy drops below 2000 ft# and again at 1000 ft# and you have the answer that I look for. Look for bullets with reliable expansion and good B/C's.

People have assured me that you don't have to have anywhere near that much power, but I have killed deer that had old bullet wounds that obviously didn't take 'em down.

My signature sums up my hunting philosophy. I'm only a so-so hunter and a lousy wind doper, so I compensate with really good, hard-hitting, flat shooting rifles.

Good thread, hope some really good hunters jump in. I'll check it every time I log on.

On edit: ol Mike and I were both working on it, he just wasn't as long-winded as me.
Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 09-12-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard that it was 1000ft lb for deer and 1500 ft lb for elk.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Robbor and Britz; I couldn't remember who made up the "energy law" that I referred to, but JECustom knew it. It is called The Taylor Knockout rule, law, formula, or something like that. Stuff like that happens to me more and more!

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
I have heard that it was 1000ft lb for deer and 1500 ft lb for elk.

This may be a good guide line but for what bullets and what caliber? You can get a full metal jacket or solid 22 caliber bullet to deliver 1500 pounds of energy but certainly wouldnt be suitable for an elk hunt. A 230 grain .45 caliber hollow point bullet delivering 500 FPE would be better than the latter. It is all subject to bullet size and performance at the impact velocities.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

i hope i don't ruffle any feathers with my thoughts, it's not my intention, merely an observation. we as a shooting group do everything we can to get every bit of accuracy, performance, drop charts, you name it for hunting long range, except for one thing. we don't test the terminal performance of our bullets, out of our gun, at the range we intend to attempt to harvest game. or know what speed it's gonna be going and test at that speed. you won't have to wonder "if it will expand". or "how far it will penetrate". it's not very difficult to get a few milk jugs or something that will hold any of the stuff that's used to shoot bullets into. i'd be the first to admit that until this year i've only done it a few times myself. at the ranges we shoot, we're at the edge of capability quite often, and some of our worst critics are other hunters who are not exactly sweet talkers about our sport. of all the things that has to happen right to take game at long range, the bullets terminal performance is one of the most important. do the animals you're hunting a favor and test the bullets. it's actually a heck of a lot of fun!