Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Effect of bullet diameter (caliber) on terminal performance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Effect of bullet diameter (caliber) on terminal performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Interesting discussion.

What if a 130 grain bullet of similar construction were fired at similar velocities from 25/6mm/7mm/30/8mm cartridges into gel or other terminal performance material? It would seem to me that the larger the caliber the more violent the results and possibly less penetration due to larger frontal expansion. Dunno though.....
More "violent" yes, probably so. But what about Sectional Density's effect on terminal performance, & penetration?
Too many odd ball factors to do an apples to apples test even with same bullet wt., construction, & speed isn't there?
Either way, it'd be a cool experiment I guess.
You gonna fire up your blue buckets again when you get home Roy?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"