Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Effect of barrel contour on long range accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

Effect of barrel contour on long range accuracy?

I'm in the midst of 7saum build. The rifle will be used for targets past 1000 and big game hunting as far out as I feel comfortable.

Since I do want to hunt with the rifle weight is a consideration. I have a Montana so I'm not looking for a backpack rifle or anything like that, but I would like to keep the weight to something manageable if possible.

What effect, if any, do you feel barrel contour/o.d. has in accuracy? What is the smallest contour/weight you would feel comfortable with in this situation?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Effect of barrel contour on long range accuracy?

Hart #4 Fluted.
Id have gone with a lighter weight, smaller contour, but I wanted to reach out there & the #4 contour (fluted for weight not vanity) is what I kept commin back to. Plus to go 26"+, Hart recomends a #4 as the minimum, & I see no reason to go any shorter on a custom LR rig. As you can see in the pic on my signature weight is ALWAYS a concern where I hunt.
Just seems to be the best compromise of weight vs intended use, & packability/huntability imo.
Now if its a dedicated LR ONLY rig, heavier is generally better. & if its ELR, heavier is a must.

My $.02 anyway

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 06-09-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: smart phone fail again...
Old 06-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Price concerns? Ever think of going with a carbon wrapped barrel? Just got a magnum research barrel (PAC nor liner) for my 7saum build. 1.2 inch tip to tail 27" long 3lbs exactly. reasonably priced at $600. Gives the best of both world IMO
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
if its ELR, heavier is a must.
So are you saying a heavier contour is inherently more accurate? Or inherently easier to shoot accurately because it's heavier?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Gold Member

The google site search function can be handy for this type of discussion.

Try this link. There were a few others as well.

Real difference...in barrels..
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Heavier barrels take longer to get hot, and often stay more stable as they heat up. They can be easier to stay on target with, since they act as more dead weight to "muffle" your heart beat and twitchy muscles. They're not more inherently accurate.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser View Post
I'm in the midst of 7saum build. The rifle will be used for targets past 1000 and big game hunting as far out as I feel comfortable.

Since I do want to hunt with the rifle weight is a consideration. I have a Montana so I'm not looking for a backpack rifle or anything like that, but I would like to keep the weight to something manageable if possible.

What effect, if any, do you feel barrel contour/o.d. has in accuracy? What is the smallest contour/weight you would feel comfortable with in this situation?
I would go with a 26", 4 or 5 contour, fluted, and here is why. A barrel of this type is capable of nearly the same accuracy as a heavier barrel with the possible exception of multiple shots which we hope we don't need, right? The fluting on this size barrel will reduce the weight by approx. 1/2 lb. The most important thing is to have it built by a good smith that will square the action and make sure the chambering is concentric, etc. If you start with a good barrel, there should not be a problem. Some smiths will guarantee a certain degree of accuracy and I would not go to anyone who didn't have a proven record.......rich