Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

edge vs ultramag is there any difference

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Location: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=38.788345355085624&lng=-90.3076171875&z
Re: edge vs ultramag is there any difference

yea the factory ammo option is a must, i totally plan on being able to travel out west to hunt and even alaska some. im 46 i have 1 son left in highschool and me and moma gona get outa here soon do some hunting and fishing vacations. i got her setup with nice remington 700s in .243 and 270 win. i have the ultramags 7mm,300,338,and when i get this 338 right im going to build a lefthanded 375 ultra from a rebarreled lefthand 338 ultra
Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

338 ultramad, I hope I have answered all your questions.

I have a question just out of curiosity. For the others who have weighed in opinions here, what is your experience with building, hunting and shooting these two rifles in question head to head? I just wonder how many actually have the experience to comment and how many are just repeating what they read on the internet and reffering to other websites for info. I think that would be more interesting info than arguing two virtually identical cartridges.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

Chiming in..... When you are talking 200-300 fps difference between cartridges, then you have to take that into consideration. When you are talking 100 fps (with variables that might further reduce the difference), it seems to me that other considerations would come into play.

If the original rifle is a shooter, than I would definitely stick with it. Some of us spend huge dollars for custom rigs that sometimes will not shoot as well as a lucky few off-the-rack rifles. If I had a big 338 shooting 1/2 MOA, would I chuck it all and spend additional $$$ to build another big 338 in the hopes of getting 100 fps more - all while hoping to maintain the same 1/2 MOA accuracy??? Not on your life!

If starting from scratch, then the 338 Edge is a consideration.

If you already have an accurate 338 Rum that ain't broke - then don't try to fix it.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

I'm not sure if you are talking to me or not but I'll gladly defend my opinion if you like. I don't think anyone has to necessarily have your level of expertise or first be authorized in order to offer up an opinion. If we did, well this would be a pretty quiet place.

My opinion was based on research compiled when I was, at one time, looking into having a 338 Edge built and that research showed me that there was "some" gain in fps to the 338 Edge over the 338RUM. And again, for me, since I was going to be reloading anyway and the factory ammo thing meant nothing to me and I don't see how reloading for a 338 Edge would be any different than reloading for a RUM, why not take advantage of the added case capacity of the 338 Edge. Even if it is ever so slight because again, based on the research I put together on a more probable than not basis the 338 Edge has some FPS advantage.

I guess the same could be said about the "how many fps do you gain or lose per inch of barrel length." You hear all kinds of different #'s getting tossed around but how many people have actually taken the time to start with a long barrel, chrono a given number of rounds, cut an inch off the end, recrown, and repeat the process over and over and over. This is just my best guess but I'm going to guess not that many. But everyone has an opinion on how many fps you gain or lose per inch of barrel length and generally speaking there all relatively close in numbers yet they have never done the field work themselves. Does that mean that only those who have done this process are entitled to an opinion???
Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

B23,

Let me assure you that my post was not directed at you. I was just speaking from my point of view - and I probably should have put an "IMO" somewhere in the body of my comments. Others say "mileage may vary". :-)

I would not dispute your findings for a minute. I know some bench rest shooters that simply will not use Vihta Vouri powders at matches here in Phoenix, but will use them in matches in Raton, NM. The subtle differences in accuracy warrant it in their circumstances. But given the fact that I am not in the same league as them, I don't worry about changing powders or loads when I hunt in different states or even at different altitudes. When hunting, "close is good enough" seems to hold true for me.

I am not a good enough driver with a rifle to a point where a 3% increase in velocity will make any difference in my abilities. For others - they may appreciate it and feel it gives them the "edge" (pardon the pun - I couldn't help myself).

I currently shoot a 277 AM (338 Lapua necked down to .277). When the barrel burns out, I am looking at going with the 338 Lapua because of my current diameter bolt face. As long as I am looking to make the change, I also am looking at the 338 Norma Mag (same bolt face). I am also considering the 338 Edge, along with the 338 RUM and other wildcat 338's. In the end, they all offer great performance. Some will give me a boost of 100-200 fps over the Lapua and Norma Mag. But honestly, for me, I don't think I would be able to tell much of a difference until I got beyond 1200 yds or so in wind deflection with the 300 SMK. Because I shoot so little beyond that, others factors come into play as being more important to me - such as quality of brass, saving $$ by not having to retool bolt head or buy new custom dies, etc.

Many of us have spent big bucks on custom rigs that quite frankly did not quite measure up to expectations in the accuracy department. Bench rest shooters know this for a fact. Some new custome barrels just won't shoot to fulfill their needs. When they get one that doesn't, they just change it out again. Given the fact that accuracy is not an absolute given - even in custom barrels and rifles - I personally would never give up a known "shooter" for a 3% increse in velocity. What would it take? Maybe 250-300 fps more? Perhaps. But that is just me. Mileage may vary for others.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

axsugarbear sorry about that. No at no time did I think you were directing anything toward me and to be honest I'm not sure if LTLR is directing anything toward me but LTLR post above yours is what I was responding to.

I agree, if I already had a great shooter it would not be worth changeing and the fact the OP wants to be able to shoot factory ammo pretty much makes any question/s about turning his current RUM into a 338 Edge a moot point.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

B23, I directed a post toward you and thanked you for it. I was just making a general statement. No offense meant to anyone. I have no idea the experience of the people here on the forum. That is why I asked. I know that I do have the experience to say for a definite fact one is just as good as the other. If I had a shooter in either one I would not spend a penny to change to the other. I am not going to criticize the 338-300 ultramag I spent a year developing in 1998.