Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

edge vs ultramag is there any difference

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: edge vs ultramag is there any difference

I'd get the edge, its faster like most have stated here
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

LTLR

If I read your posts correctly you're saying there is NO fps advantage to a 338Edge over a 338RUM with equal length barrel and same bullet weight. Ruling out any fast barrels. Consistenly speaking, there will be no fps advantage to the 338 Edge. Correct?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

I had this same dilemma when I rebarreled my 338 rum. I chose to go with a 375 tejas instead. A 338 tejas will basiclly do for the 338 edge what the 338 edge does for the 338 rum, so you can get about a 200 fps increase over the standard 338 rum.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Location: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=38.788345355085624&lng=-90.3076171875&z

very good replys, my main thing is that i bought the 338 rum first along with lots and lots of brass and couple boxes of store bought loads,so i then bought the 300 rum and 7mm rum ,shortly after with 100 pcs brass each for those. then we started reading and talking the edge some of my family and friends are building or have had built the edge. frankly i believe that there is enough powder in the 338 rum to do the feats that the edge are doing, my opinion only. the rest is in the machine work of the bolt and action ,barrel and trigger.
im shooting 300MK with a compressed load of retumbo now.with bullet out on the lands.and she does fine . the recoil is what it is! lol and i dont know what im doing wrong with my 225 blitz kings because the gun really bucks around with the lighter bullets. its like it has 2 different stages of recoil with the 225 grain bullets that i wanted to use for deer hunting. my rifle sited with the 300 mk then last january i had gotten drawed for a managed hunt here in mo. a week before the hunt the federal game commision sent me a letter that only lead tip ammo was allowed on this hunt so i took a box of store bought core locks and some 225 blitz kings i had loaded what a dissaster. bullets were falling to the ground at the deers feat looked like it was snowing on them gun was bucking all around scope came loose! 3 deer 5 misses. the last one out at 375 yards looked like it was in a snow globe just stood there and looked at me. after each round cranking up the elevation on my scope about a foot i noticed my scope was moving then after a few rounds i waved off let my buddy take a crack at it he smoked that deer out at 450 yards from him. i want to make this rifle tight because it was my first left handed bolt action rifle,its going to shoot right come hell or high water! ive been hunting for 35 years with hand me down 30-30s and shot guns with slugs. im tired of deer all around me if i can see it i want to be able to kill it .
Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

B23, Thanks for your post. I am saying there is more difference in the accuracy loads of each individual rifle than there is between the 338 ultramag and 338-300 ultramag. I have seen each faster than the other with best accuracy loads. I have shot both extensively on the range over a chronograph and at big game. No hunter would ever no the difference shooting at game with either and neither would any big game animal. 90% of accuracy loads with either of these two cartridges will shoot 2750-2850 fps with a 300 grain bullet.

If anyone is even the least bit concerned with whatever slight difference there might be in velocity they are looking at the wrong cartridge with either of these ultramags. They would need to get a custom big 338 off the 378 wby or 416 rigby case and jump either of these near 300 fps on average (3100+fps). Then I assure any shooter from experience they will notice an extreme difference from the ultramag cartridges. If someone thinks 2-4 grains of powder in an accuracy load is going to make that much difference between the ultramags (91-94 grains) they need to think logically about what up to 130 grains of powder will do in the improved 378 wby or 416 rigby case. I just finished an alaskan safari using only the 338 winchester to take grizzlies to sheep so I am not trying to push these huge capacity 338's on anybody. Just for the velocity buffs who talk velocity all the time, they need to look at the 378 or 416 case if that is there criteria. They don't need to spend there time arguing two virtually identical cartridges.

Again, I don't care what a guy shoots or even if it is a 338 or not. I have numerous wildcats in all calibers and have taken big game animals in excess of 1000 yards with 270, 7mm, 30 and 338 calibers. But I do want a guy to make his choices with clear unbiased information from someone with many years experience shooting big game with about everything out there. I have taken big game all over north america with probably every 338 regularly discussed on this forum or for sure a comparable one. I am not going to hang my hat on one. But basically from experience I end up taking my 338 winchester that weighs 7 1/4 pounds scoped out if I am shooting under a half mile. For extreme long range I shoot a big 338 off the 378 wby case with a 300 smk over 3100 fps and weighs 10 3/4 pounds. But a guy may see me hunting with about anything. I have plenty of choices in the rack.

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 09-17-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Edge for me
Just take a look at defensivedge.net look at the loading data that shawn carlock has on his site (if you haven't already) . Look at what he is doing with his rifles and others are doing with the edge round. Pretty much speaks for itself

bigbuck
Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Again, this is only my opinion but it does appear the 338 Edge, consistently on the average, holds some FPS advantage over the 338RUM and I am talking about accuracy FPS loads. I see no point at all in discussing ANY fps if it's not an accuracy load. I don't understand why people even mention the fact their gun will shoot X fps but then say their accuracy load is 200fps slower than X. Again, that's just me but I truely don't see the point. Since the 338 Edge does appear to hold some fps advantage, IMO, if you are going to spend the money to have your current rifle rebarreled into a 338RUM or 338 Edge, why would you not want to take advantage of the, more probable than not, 338 Edge. Unless you always wanted the option of shooting factory ammo. If the factory ammo option is even remotely important to you the clear choice is the 338RUM.