Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Eddybos Oryx rifle pretty much ready to ship....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Eddybos Oryx rifle pretty much ready to ship....

Figured I would make a post concerning Eddybos rifle that he will hopefully be using on his White Sands Oryx hunt here next month.

Specs:
338 Allen Magnum
BAT Model M
BAT 40 moa rail base converted to 10-32 tpi tapered head bolts
4 NF Ultralight rings
NF NXS 8-32x 56mm w/ NP-R2
Scopelevel
Lilja "Allen34" custom contour barrel, 1-10, 3/8" flutes, 34" finish length
APS 5 port Painkiller muzzle brake
Jewell trigger
McMillan A-5 tactical stock w/ Decelerator pad and side flush cup mounts
APS Stainless steel pillar bedding(3 pillars)
Metal ADL trigger guard

Finished rifle weight is a bit over 19 lbs as seen in the pics. We had a bit of a break in the hot temps so I pushed things hard and finished up the barrel break in last night at around 10:30(this was only because of the rush for the rifle).

To test the rifle, I loaded up some test loads using a relatively mild load of 142.0 gr H-50BMG under the 300 gr SMK seated to 4.150" OAL which produced an average velocity of 3250 fps and was extremely comfortable as far as pressure goes. I was using some freshly formed cases I made up for Paul. I did not trim then square, in fact they were EXTEMELY uneven!!!.

Here is a pic of the new cases from Jamison.

More in part two, limited to three pics per post.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Part II

The case mouths as mentioned were not trimmed and very uneven. The reason I left them that way is simply because that after the first full pressure firing, the cases really seem to correct themselves in case mouth eveness and then trimming chores are much less intensive and you also limit the amount of case you have to trim off the case.

Many would say these uneven necks will destroy accuracy and consistancy. I have time and again proven that myth wrong and did so again today but will get into that a bit later.

The test started by setting out a sight in target along with a group target next to it. Because this rifle has not been shot except for barrel break in at the shop, I simply bore sighted the rifle on the target and then took a first shot at the sight in target which in this case was a water filled milk jug. The range was measured at 1123 yards. First shot landed roughly 7 moa low and 1 moa to the left.

Made a scope adjustment and took another sighter shot. The Painkiller muzzle brake easily allowed me to get back on target WELL before the bullet impacted and it clearly landed just inches to the right of the jug. Close enough to go to paper. There was a slight crosswind quartering toward me and Exbal predicted there would be a drift of roughly 1/2 moa at that range, basically exactly where the rifle put that second shot.

I let the barrel cool and then waited for conditions to get a bit more consistant. Finally the winds settled and I ran three through the rifle quickly but on the last shot the winds kicked back up again.

IT was clear that the bullets impacted close to each other so I wanted to drive up and check the impact. Before I did however I tested the drop a bit. I shot the rifle, one shot each at 520, 745 and 910 yards. each shot fell well within 1/2 moa of the target being fired at these ranges so I would say its pretty well ready to roll. Any Oryx within 1500 yards will likely be in the back of the truck on his hunt!!!

After that I drove up to the target to see how she shot at 1123 yards.

The group measured 6.2" wide by 1.5" tall. Obviously the wind got me a bit on that last shot but still plenty good for any big game hunting. For the first long range three shot group, not to bad.

This load has the bullet seated well off the lands, at least 30 thou and the 142.0 gr load is a pretty mild load as they will be hunting in a possibly very hot area and this will allow some pressure cushion in that event. While I am sure this rifle will run upwards of 3350 fps easily, I personally would use this load just for its functionality and low pressure.

The Painkiller 5 port brake functioned extremely well. The rifle still jumped a bit but it seemed to return to target much faster then even my old 5 port Slab brake design did. It also seemed that the rifles torque was not nearly as noticable shooting off the hard surface of the shooting bench.

Other then a minor trigger pull issue, the rifle is ready to roll. Obviously the uneven case mouths destroyed its accuracy even at long range. Keys to accuracy are a tight chamber and ammo that has the bullet seated straight in the case. If these things are correct, accuracy will be very good inspite of uneven necks.

Do not take that as me saying that you should not trim your case mouths square and consistant with each other, you should because its easy and it will effect velocity spreads to some degree but if you use good loading tools and can load straight ammo, this is much less critical then many would have you believe. I will take some heat from that comment but a three shot group that is barely over 1/2 moa at +1120 yards in a 19 lb rifle is proof to this point and considering wind was responsible for most of this group variation, it proves the point even more.

Again, trim your cases, do all the little things, they all add up to quality match grade ammo but in many cases, each little step in and of themselves does not effect accuracy a great deal, at least when your using a quality rifle and quality loading equipment.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Great looking rifle and I bet Eddybo can't wait to get his hands on it and then head out for Oryx.;)

Pretty good accuracy for a fresh barrel and just picking a load out of thin air. She might be a shooter if he plays with it a bit.

I like the bottom view of the PK brake. Kinda reminds me of a Cobra's head.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

that is one serious looking brake on that thing. one serious looking rifle too!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

Very nice Kirby, I was guessing it was a 338AM when I saw it had 2 sets of rings on it.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Speechless. Thank you Kirby. It has been a pleasure dealing with you and I am sure that it will exceed my expectations. Now, swipe a trigger out of something and get to the post office

I am going to limit myself to 100% confidence shots. So I have a bit of work to do before my hunt.....I should have had you chamber an extra barrel as I am a slow learner.

I had a bad day because of the oil slick below New Orleans blocking all the passes, so my fishing was pretty much a bust....but this post made me feel better. Then my electrician showed up and finished wiring up my lathe and mill. I got to turn them both on for the first time. Today didnt start out so well but has really tuned out great.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

What is the diameter of that barrel? It seems to mask the length very well, seems very sleek for a 34 inch tube.

edge.