Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Economical chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Economical chronograph

Looking for a good, economical chronograph. It's my first Chrono. So I'd like a decent one but certainly don't need top of the line. Best bang for the buck so to speak.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Economical chronograph

I am not sure what you are thinking for a budget, but the Magneto Speed comes in two models. Lesser priced model will suit most fine. I have used both. This is a great new unit that is not sensitive to sun light angles or shade. So it seems to be working well for most of us that are using it. Len has them now in the LRH store.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I am not sure what you are thinking for a budget, but the Magneto Speed comes in two models. Lesser priced model will suit most fine. I have used both. This is a great new unit that is not sensitive to sun light angles or shade. So it seems to be working well for most of us that are using it. Len has them now in the LRH store.

Jeff

I have to ditto the magnetospeed, I really like mine. Works with solids & lead cores, I can't recall having any error to date & WAY easier to set up

t

Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Shooting Chrony. There are more $$ ones....there are some with lots more frills...but I wanted something to record the speed of my bullets!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Magnetospeed it the way to go, if you think a Shooting Chrony is a good budget solution then just save your money and shoot drops, I have several Chronies that have been retired and of all the data I re shot only one rifle was close the others were up to a 100 fps of.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a link to a photo of an economical chronograph, but you have to have quick reflexes and good ear/finger coordination.

Which shooting chronograph do you use?

The poll results show that the Shooting Chrony is the most often purchased chronograph. The poll doesn't include the cost of the various units. The reason the Shooting Chrony is the most popular is because it's the least expensive unit being marketed. It's also one of the least reliable units available. If you simply want to know that a bullet exited your barrel, buy a Shooting Chrony. It is economical, strictly from the perspective of purchase cost.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Here's a link to a photo of an economical chronograph, but you have to have quick reflexes and good ear/finger coordination.

Which shooting chronograph do you use?

The poll results show that the Shooting Chrony is the most often purchased chronograph. The poll doesn't include the cost of the various units. The reason the Shooting Chrony is the most popular is because it's the least expensive unit being marketed. It's also one of the least reliable units available. If you simply want to know that a bullet exited your barrel, buy a Shooting Chrony. It is economical, strictly from the perspective of purchase cost.
ALL it has to do is start and stop a timer. I check mine against factory ammo for speed..and guess what? It registers almost identical speed as factory ammo. Amazing isnt it?

And anything I see that looks sort ow weird...ya just fudge it. People adding "X" or subtracting "X" to get the FPS THEY want to stick into some formula seems to be OK...???

But I do use mine for just a tad more than seeing if a bullet got out of the barrel!