Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The dreaded 4 letter word. MOLY. And GS custom bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
The dreaded 4 letter word. MOLY. And GS custom bullets.

So I have been thinking about ordering some GS 177 HV bullets. They say they no longer offer them without moly.

I have heard alot of horror stories regarding moly.

GS claims of course that their proccess eliminates the problems accossiated with traditional moly coated bullets. They say that moly in and of itself does not cause the problems but the chemicals that is traditionaly used to make the moly stick to the bullet that is the problem which causes build up etc....

So what do you all think? Anybody have any experience with the GS moly coated bullets? Any other moly experiences?

I appreciate any help,

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The dreaded 4 letter word. MOLY. And GS custom bullets.

I believe moly fell out of favor for coatings easier to remove(like WS2, or HBN).
For such specialized expensive bullets, and possibly your expensive finished barrel, I would not accept moly.
Talk GS into offering them bare, or pass em by..
Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Michael, I asked this same question of GS and was assured that their moly would not stick to the bore. So reading your question this AM, I called Anthony and asked him again. He assured me that the moly sticking to the bore is not an issue due to their process of molecularly bonding (ionization) it to the bullet vs using some other bonding or adhesive substance. He also said if you recover one of their molly bullets, it will still have the moly on it because it sticks to the copper and not the steel.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they would make such claims if not true. I hope not because I don't want moly building up in my bore.

BTW, I was called yesterday and told that my bullets had been shipped and I should see them in about 14 days.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Michael, I asked this same question of GS and was assured that their moly would not stick to the bore. So reading your question this AM, I called Anthony and asked him again. He assured me that the moly sticking to the bore is not an issue due to their process of molecularly bonding (ionization) it to the bullet vs using some other bonding or adhesive substance. He also said if you recover one of their molly bullets, it will still have the moly on it because it sticks to the copper and not the steel.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they would make such claims if not true. I hope not because I don't want moly building up in my bore.

BTW, I was called yesterday and told that my bullets had been shipped and I should see them in about 14 days.
I had an order proccessed this morning. We shall see.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.