Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

douglas barrell quality?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member
Re: douglas barrell quality?

I have personaly never owned a Douglas but I have barreled a couple guns for guys that just wanted their deer gun in a differant caliber , they both shot way better than the factory barrels and diden't foul as bad accuracy in both of these guns is still great but both only have around 200 rounds through them.
If your looking to keep the cost down , I'd go with a
Pac-Nor , they seem to have better bore in the ones I've seen and delt with
but if your gonna spend to have the gun rebarreled you owe it to yourself to get a good barrel
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe

Unread 09-18-2014, 06:35 PM

I remember Leonard Sheffield, but by the time I met him he was in a wheel chair due to his severe crippling arthritis. He fixed an old Mauser of mine. I heard him talk about the 7mm-300 many times. If he had lived longer I would have had one, but unfortunately he passed away.
Unread 09-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Wow! We're going back to 2005 and 2006 to get this one.

Last edited by brentc; 09-18-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Unread 09-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

I have considered getting a Douglas barrel. Mostly because he's about 15 min from me. Are they good barrels. I know several people who have them and none complain about them.

My cousin had one put on his 300 win mag last year, after he dropped his gun out of a tree stand. Apparently if the barrel sticks in the ground they can bend his looked like it was out of a cartoon with the barrel all drooping down. LoL.
Unread 09-19-2014, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 30-06 boy View Post
i see on midway's website douglas barrels are much cheaper than hart or kreiger barrels.hart and kreiger are very good barrels.can somebody share thier experience with douglas ?thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Years ago they were very good barrels, but now that there are so many premium barrels available
there are better choices in my opinion.

In the last 10 years I have not had very good luck with the Douglas barrels and have added them to my list of barrels to avoid.

I am sure that you can get a good one from them but the odds are less than a sure thing, unlike some of the other barrels available.

I want consistency in quality so I buy the barrels that give me that.

Unread 09-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wapiti13 View Post
30-06, You get what you pay for in barrels. Douglas barrels are button rifled and not lapped. They are good midpriced barrels. For a few dollars more, you can get a Wilson barrel that is basically a Douglas, but is lapped. If you want a top notch barrel, go with Lilja or Krieger. Both are top notch barrels.
The only thing Lilja's win are 22 BR in a Calfee built rifle. He even then admits that only two out of five are usable. Looking at equipment lists I see lots of Kriegers, and they are usually on down the list. And by the way they are lapped. And most bench rest meets seem to won by button rifles barrels when looking thru the P.S. mags. A Ron Pence barrel is better than 98% of the also rans if you just gotta have the best, and are willing to pay for it unlike most of the big name shooters
Unread 09-20-2014, 06:47 AM
Bronze Member

I have a douglas barrel in a 7mm weatherby. great barrel. my friend has a 6mm dasher. both shoot sub moa if we do our part. will be doing a 300 wby to a 340 wby with them. the best part was it took only 3 weeks to get it back.