Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

dont know what to think.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 AM
Gold Member

dont know what to think.

ive shot 5 deer in last couple days with my new 240 wby. Im using a 100 sierra pro hunter at about 3300 fps. Closes deer was 335 yards and the farthest was 445 (check with my range finder). I guess i thought thered be something majic about this round because its a weatherby and somehow magicaly it would flatten deer. Not the case. All 5 deer took some looking to find. Typicaly they ran off 75-150 yards. All were hit behind the shoulder. None guy shot. I didnt really check out what organs were damaged but i didnt see a whole lot of damage inside. Exit wounds on 3 of the 5. I guess in all reality its nothing but a bit smaller 2506. I love the 25-06 but have kind of shook my head at guys that swear by it for 500 yard deer shooting as ive found it a bit lacking past 350. Ill still stand behind my experiences for years shooting lots of deer that its hard to beat a 7 or 30 mag for long range deer hunting. they just put deer down much better then the small bores. I still love this little 240. Theres no recoil to it and its very accurate. But i think for now on it will be used in fields where 300 yards is the norm not 400. We shoot alot of deer every year and if they leave the field in most cases its tracking in some very thick stuff and not enjoyable. If youve ever dragged 4 deer out of a swamp in the same evening at 57 years old youd know what i mean.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: dont know what to think.

Hmmm, I would've figured it would have done good damage like my .257 Wby Mag.

Maybe try some different bullets? Like the NAB's or Berger VLD's. I know out of my .257 Wby, the 110 NAB's were devastating for whitetails.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hmmm, I would've figured it would have done good damage like my .257 Wby Mag.

Maybe try some different bullets? Like the NAB's or Berger VLD's. I know out of my .257 Wby, the 110 NAB's were devastating for whitetails.

Also try the Ballistic Tip For long shots.(500 yards+).

My bullet of choice for hunting is the Accubond.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

I would be trying a 105 Berger or a 107 SMK in it to see if they would fly. If they did, I would be very surprised if a deer ran off with one decently placed.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

My two favorite deer rounds 240 and 257 wby...I use accubond and barnes only.
Shot placement is everything with both cal. but they are hammers on all animals
out to 500 yards ..The 257 even 700 yards.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

I will start with the disclaimer that I haven't shot anything with a 6mm yet. Hopefully that will change this year when I take my son hunting with his .243.

Given the velocities that the .240 Roy is capable of generating, I would think bullet choice would be a bit more critical than it is with slower 6mm's.

You may already know this stuff, but here is some info from a fella in NZ who studies terminal performance on game animals:

.240 Weatherby Magnum
Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Gold Member

well guys ill argue a bit. The sierra im using is about as fragile as a ballistic tip. So i doubt id gain a thing there plus the gun shoots the 100 sierra better then the 100 bt. As to bonded bulllets and barnes bullets ill say this. I would guess my results with a bonded bullet of any kind would be worse as even less damage would be done. You wouldnt pay me to use a tsx in a 6mm at 400 plus yards. You might as well be shooting a solid. We had miserable luck with them at long range out of the 2506 and 257wby and i have no doubt that the 6 would be the same or worse. The barnes bulley or bonded bullets might have some merit at 200 yards on something the size of elk but in that case id have a bigger stick.

Comes down to about what my hunting partner said. I told him last year that i was done shooting at over 350 with the 2506 because we got tired of chasing deer in the swamp and the 240 is nothing but a glorified 2506.

I still like this gun and will no doubt kill a slug of deer with it in the next few years but it will just be treated like i would a 2506, 3006 270, 280 ect. Ive got to many better guns for the fields that give us those real long shots. to me the 400 plus yard guns begin at the 257wby and 264mag and go up from there. Tonight its getting replaced by my 300 ultra. I havent shot anything with it yet. Betcha i dont have the same problem with that one.