Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Does savage muzzle break count in length of barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Bronze Member

Does savage muzzle break count in length of barrel?

I am looking a buying a new rifle and am looking at the savage rifles. I like the model 16 FHSAK in 300wsm. However it says it only has a 24" barrel which is fine with me if the break is not included but if it is that makes the rifle more like a 22 in barrel which is way to short for my liking. I dont want anything less then 24 plus break. Does anyone know how they measure their barrels with breaks?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Does savage muzzle break count in length of barrel?

The way the ATF measures barrel length is to close the bolt (With no round in the chamber)
Insert a cleaning rod (Very Carefully) in the muzzle and mark the rod at the muzzle end.

Then subtract the length of the break to the holes or ports closest to the barrel (Normally there is about 1/2 to 3/4'' of barrel in the break.

Example : If The break is 2'' long and the overall length at the end of the muzzle break to
the bolt face is 28" the barrel will be around 26.5'' long.

On some breaks you can see the end of the barrel through the ports or just un-screw the break
and measure to the crown for actual barrel length.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by win270wsm View Post
I am looking a buying a new rifle and am looking at the savage rifles. I like the model 16 FHSAK in 300wsm. However it says it only has a 24" barrel which is fine with me if the break is not included but if it is that makes the rifle more like a 22 in barrel which is way to short for my liking. I dont want anything less then 24 plus break. Does anyone know how they measure their barrels with breaks?
Be careful, Browning includes the length of the brake in overall barrel length. So if the brake is 2 inches and actual barrel is 24 inches they say the barrel is 26 inches. A no no as far as I am concerned.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Bronze Member

Savage includes the break in the length of the barrel.

More important question, can the break be removed and replaced with a better break?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the help. I think i may go with the model long range hunter now since barrel is 2in longer.