Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

does this look like a partial profiled barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Bronze Member

does this look like a partial profiled barrel

Can any gunsmiths answer me a question ? in the picture below is a straight taper barrel finished at the muzzle 1 inch with an 11 degree crown ,would you say this is a partial contoured barrel or the finished article ??
Old 12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: does this look like a partial profiled barrel

I am not a smith, but it sure looks like a finished contour such as the M-24 or a Lilja 1.200 HV varmint taper etc....
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Measure the breech end.......

How much straight do you have before it starts the straight taper. Max Heavy Varmints have 6" of straight

Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Go to the manufacturers website and check their contours. They are not uniform by any stretch of the imagination.

What is the overall length? It probably started out as a 28 or 30 inch straight tube. They should have air gaged it and made the bore the tight end, cut off about 2 inches and profiled it.

If it has a crown then I suspect that it is per spec, but sometimes operations get screwed up.

edge.

Perhaps a #10
Old 12-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Spencer 30 inch NBRSA Heavy Varmint taper. It is so heavy that once you get that gun set up properly that you just say "now" and it shoots by itself.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ackley,

Your answer is in your own question. A straight taper barrel is a different barrel profile then a contoured barrel profile.

A contoured profile will generally have a full diameter barrel shank for 4 to 6" and then there will be a dramatic drop off in diameter which will be a radius shape. Then after about 2-4" of this dramatic decrease in barrel diameter, the taper will flatten out and be a straight taper from there to the muzzle.

This allows alot of weight to be taken off a barrel.

A straight taper barrel, has no radius section ahead of the full diameter barrel shank. It just goes from Full diameter to a gradual even taper to the muzzle. This is what you have pictured. A straight taper barrel will always be heavier then a contoured barrel even if they are the same length with same muzzle diameter.

From the pics you have, I would say you just have a heavy straight taper barrel blank.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-16-2006, 02:22 AM
Bronze Member

Just as I thought I have been sent a finished barrel,This is not what I ordered and the twist is wrong,Also it has a chambered which is 6mm BR again I wanted a 243 AI BUT half the chamber has been cut off when I questioned this the answer I got was
"its been roughed to length, centre reamed one end with my throat possitioning, chamber start reamer."
is there sush a thing ??
My next bit of the story is i asked for my action along with my old and new barrel which was sussposed to be the same contour I may add to be sent back as the guy was messing me abour not fitting it,When it arrives nearly 3 weeks later and i questioned why the barrel is totally wrong he answered
"it was not finished as he was doing the contour on his partners lathe or what ever they use"
now forgive me but when you order a barrel form the manufactors dont the contour it to what you have asked for ??
I asked for an exact copy of my last barrel the smith in question told me had had snet the barrel to them to be copied
now Iam I being picky or have I had my time and money wasted,I have not got what i ordered IE wrong twist and and wrong contour I have been sent a barrel which looks like it has been on another rifle but no fired lus being told excuse after excuse
I have since ordered the correct barrel and will be selling this one to try and get back some of my money