Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Does a half of grain of powder make that much difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Does a half of grain of powder make that much difference?

Get all of the copper out. Spray wipe out down the tube and let it sit for 18-24 hours. Scrub and patch it all out, then do it again, laying the rifle on the opposing side. There's no harm in cleaning until you are down to bare bore metal.

Who makes cooper barrels? are they hammer forged? lapped? button? cut rifled?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

I've pretty much got it out. Bore-Tech Copper Remover.
Wilson makes Cooper barrels. I believe they're button rifled.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member

Made it back to the range a couple more times. This rifle seems to shoot the first two or three rounds into a half inch or less and then it starts to really spread things out. With only 26 rounds down the tube so far it may still need some more shooting before it starts to come around. It still copper fouls quite a bit. How about some other Cooper owners. Did your rifle shoot good right away or it it take awhile?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deertroy1 View Post
How about some other Cooper owners. Did your rifle shoot good right away or it it take awhile?
I have a 22-250 that shot better as I got more rounds through it, but nothing like what you are seeing. It went from a MOA gun to about a half MOA shooter after 70 or 80 rounds, but I attributed it more to load development than break-in.

I have a Cooper in 280AI that shot fireforming rounds like complete crap (they were jammed and not charged ideally) so maybe that attributed to a break-in. When I got into actual load development it was the easiest I've ever done.

It seems weird that groups would open up that much. I'm sure you don't want to hear it after sending it back once already, but it sure sounds like something isn't right... In my (often wrong) opinion i wouldnt expect flyers that far out there to settle in after more break-in...
Old 10-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Bronze Member

I've got some 139gr Hornady Inter-bond's, so I'll try them. The best I can do and still load them in the magazine is to within 70 thousandths of the lands.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 PM

I had a rifle doing the same thing a long time ago. It ended up being the scope. It would shoot a couple close, then the next few wouldn't even be close.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deertroy1 View Post
Derek

I agree. This rifle has only 15 rounds down the spout plus what ever Cooper shot. This is the second barrel on this gun as the first had a problem. I did the shoot one clean, for the first five or so, then shoot three and clean etc. but nothing would shoot. I returned it to Cooper and they re-barreled and re-bedded the rifle. This time I shot six and cleaned and now nine and cleaned. I have noticed some pretty heavy copper fouling during this cleaning. Hopefully it well settle down after some more shooting.
This is from Cooper Site

The now famous 1/2" at 100 yards Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc. accuracy guarantee for center fire rifles began in 1998 with the introduction of the “Varminter” in Models 21 and 22. Soon after, the Montana Varminter became an instant classic.

Don't they send test target and I'm not sure of the yardage but why don't you call them see what they shot?