Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Does fluting affect barrel accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Does fluting affect barrel accuracy?

My next rifle will have fluting done as the first step in the process, THEN cut rifling. The best of both worlds, bar none!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona mike View Post
My next rifle will have fluting done as the first step in the process, THEN cut rifling. The best of both worlds, bar none!
So you'll have the barrel blank fluted before it's deep-hole gun drilled, then reamed, smoothed, rifled then lapped?

Sounds good to me.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, that is the correct order.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofycat View Post
Even if it were determined that fluting caused a loss of accuracy at long ranges, the question of how much accuracy is really affected. I.e., what difference does it really make, and is it really important if a fluted barrel is less accurate by, say, 1/4" at 1,000 yards than an un-fluted barrel. Does this piddling loss of accuracy supersede the advantages of less weight having to be carried by the shooter, plus the advantage of faster barrel cooling for those shooters who take many shots over a short period of time?
If a good barrel, fluted or not, is fit to a properly prepped receiver, it won't change point of impact as it heats up; even firing one shot every 20 seconds.

And the improved cooling a fluted barrel has over a solid one of the same weight per inch is not very much anyway.

Most wild shots seen from well built and fit barrels that are very hot are caused by the round resting in the chamber too long; it's hotter powder shoots bullets out faster and they strike higher. In my experience after 30 seconds in a hot barrel, 30 caliber magnums put the next shot about 1/2 MOA high at 1000.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Good point, Bart. I never thought of that particular possible cause. Thanks for the input; I'll keep it in mind.