Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Does fluting affect barrel accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Does fluting affect barrel accuracy?

I don't know about all the mumbo jumbo theory.

But, you're pretty much ok if you find a maker that'll flute their own barrel and honor the warranty.

Occasionally, all makers turn out a lemon whether it's fluted or not.

-- richard
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

No --- if fluting is done correctly it will not have a negative effect on the tube. Many world records have been set with fluted tubes in the BR game. Almost all of my rifles have fluted barrels and that includes the competition ones as well. If anyone tells you that the act of fluting itself will decrease the accuracy potential of a barrel by the act itself you need to find a good Smith that knows what he or she is doing. Mine does so I do not have to worry.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

To my best understanding of the reason for for fluting, other than the aesthetics, is, that it is two fold. It stiffens the barrel, which in turn, should enhance accuracy, and secondly, it adds surface area, which aids in cooling, both of which to me, seem to have an affect on accuracy. From a pure mechanical standpoint, I would say yes, it does add to the accuracy . It seems to me, that the fluted barrels that I have shot, seem to be easier to " get to shoot" versus non fluted. ( ALL else being equal).
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Actually, if two identical sized/shaped/weight barrels where one was fluted vs the other that has not been fluted, the non fluted barrel will be stiffer than the fluted one, but the fluted one will be lighter.
The increased cooling d/t increased surface area is negligible as I have been told
Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Commen sense tells you that if it cools faster it also heats up faster. The stiffness argument was answered above. Word games. 2 barrels of the same weight one fluted one not, the fluted will be stiffer. It will also have to be a heavier contour to end up at the same weight.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

For me
Button rifled= don't flute, and actually for me right now it = don't buy. For reasons previously stated.

Cut rifled= go ahead, my rock is fluted, I wanted the bit of weight savings.

With the quality cut rifled barrels, I just don't have a reason to go button rifled, especially if I'm trying to justify it because I may save $50...

As with anything, if the person doing the fluting tries to stretch the limits, or makes an error etc... then you may get adverse affects. But this is the same with chambering and cleaning and bedding bla bla bla

I'll personally get fluted from the manufacturer as well, this mitigates risk.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Commen sense tells you that if it cools faster it also heats up faster. The stiffness argument was answered above. Word games. 2 barrels of the same weight one fluted one not, the fluted will be stiffer. It will also have to be a heavier contour to end up at the same weight.
My Sako 85 Finnlite 22-250 with pencil fluted barrel heats up very quickly and starts walking groups to the right as it gets hotter.