Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Does anyone use the Harris Bipod for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Does anyone use the Harris Bipod for hunting

I've never used a bipod, but have been checking it out and would like to know if anybody uses them for hunting and if so which height.

Happy New Year to all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2004, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Does anyone use the Harris Bipod for hunting

I've tried using both bipods and shooting sticks and have ended up not being a fan of either. The more I hunt the more I feel that the less crap you have to carry around with you the better. I've also found that neither gave me a really good rest. No matter what height I had with me it always seemed to be too short or too high, so I was having to contort my body to get on target. I like bipods for prone shooting. But in the field I usually have a pack, and that works just as well for prone.

What I have found I like is shooting with a military style sling. I've found that this gives me as much stability as a bipod (except under ideal circumstances) while being much more flexible. I find that I can stalk and move around with the sling loop on my left arm. From there I can tuck my off hand under the sling and be ready to shoot very quickly if necessary.

Ben