Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Do I care how a barrel is made? or do I

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do I care how a barrel is made? or do I

Sighlous,

I have some rifles that shoot VERY good for hunting rifles. None of them will shoot 1/8moa at 100yds repeatedly. 1/3moa at several hundred yards is not uncommon though. It seems that shooting larger calibers with larger bullets, they shoot groups as good at 200-400yds as they do at 100yds.

Are you saying that your .338 Lapua shoots 1/8moa at 100yds with hunting loads?

The optics that I use on my hunting rifles don't allow me to shoot 1/8moa. What optics do you use on your .338 Lapua for hunting?

With the exception of the Accubond's, I haven't found a 'hunting bullet' that I could shoot repeatedly under 1/2 MOA. The SMK's and A-Max's do it, but aren't really 'hunting' bullets.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do I care how a barrel is made? or do I

My other Factory Bolt guns are 1 MOA or a little better (7/8) shooting certain premuim factory ammo at 100 yds. and I'm tickled with that. Done a little work to them but nothing major. The groups stay about the same to 200 and start opening after that.

I have a new 7MM WSM X-bolt that I haven't shot yet, intend on sending it to
Jim at Centershot Rifles and have him rebarrel and slick it up.

I'm gonna shoot it some first to see how she does. I'll bet it will shoot better when it gets back from Center shot.

But I'd also bet that it would shoot good enough to kill a Deer at 400-500 yds. just like it is now.

It's been my experience Most Factory Hunting rifles have enough accuracy to do this with very little tweaking. If you go past 600 yds. the difference between a custom Rifle and a factory rifle usually becomes quite apparent from what I've seen.

Even if you just have a factory gun rebarreled by a competent smith, I would guess you would improve the accuracy 85% of the time, just for the fact that you can get a tighter chamber.

Trued recievers, Custom Barrels, tight chambers, proper bedding and tuned triggers do make a difference.

www.sevenoakshunting.net

Last edited by Seven Oaks; 06-04-2009 at 08:01 PM.