Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Distance from Lands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Bronze Member

Distance from Lands

I'm fairly new to reloading so please bear with me. My first hunting load I've loaded up for my 280 is 162g SST's. I'm .03 off the lands with my load. The problem is that my magazine in my Ruger M77 wont' take it because it's too long. Obviously I will seat it more so it will fit in the magazine, I'm not going to make a single shooter out of it. It is my hunting rifle. I'm wondering what impact moving my bullet farther away from the lands will have. Of course I won't know till I go shoot them, but we're talking thousands...I don't forsee this as being too much of an issue as there is no way all the factory loads can be exactly a perfect distance from every model rifle they are shot int...but we're reloading right, we need accurancy! The Mark II has more room in their magazine, they must have had an epiphany. I'm sure it's the higher BC, ballistic tip, and slimmer bullet that is creating this issue, as the fatter speers I used to use had no problem.

Thanks for any insight or experience you can give me. I was looking for an actual number for this magazine length somewhere for this rifle, but am unable to find it. I'll just keep seating them deeper till they fit and see what I come up with.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Distance from Lands

This is not the rule by any means but typically a lead core bullet such as the SST will shoot more accurately closer to the lands like .010 sometimes even into the lands. magazine length is always the issue it seems. so you have options.
1. Load it to magazine length with the SST get as good as you can and call it good.
2. switch to something stubbier like a Partition of a game king
3. Switch to a Barnes tsx, ttsx or lrx which typically shoot extremely well when seated way off the lands. they recommend .030-.070

I shoot barnes is most of my rifles and they shoot very well, and kill extremely well.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

When I used SST's in my 7mag I seated them as long as my mag would alow, I got 1/2MOA out of em, but they where very very accurate down range. One of my finest shots was made with this load. Cow elk at 300yrds facing dead away looking at me over her back, with about a 1 1/2ft window through the brush on her side of the coulee. I hit her right where the skull and spine meet.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

The others are right. Get it shooting. A bit of jump isn't going to amount to a hill of beans if it dumps 5 into 1/2" or so at 100. I've had 1/2" jumps with some bullets in the 7mmultra, and they would clover-leaf 3 and do sub moa for 8.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice. I was worried there might be more of an issue, but it sounds like things might be ok. I'll verify at the range though.

Curious though, I have loaded them at 55g, and am getting 2922fps out of them. Will seating them deeper have an effect on this...i'm sure it might build up more pressure before the bullet leaves?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

actually pressure will be lower because the bullet gets more momentum before it hits the lands resulting in lower pressure which means lower velocities.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
actually pressure will be lower because the bullet gets more momentum before it hits the lands resulting in lower pressure which means lower velocities.
It's kind of a weird thing. You seat rifle bullets in it lowers pressure(especially the initial spike as the bullet engraves) because it gives them more run at the rifling. The opposite is true with small-capacity pistol though(think 9mm Luger). If you seat those bullets too deep, you might just blow up your pistol because case volume has fallen so dramatically. It really depends on what you are loading for.