Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Disappointed with Swift Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

Disappointed with Swift Bullets

After careful consideration of many bullets I decided on the swift scirocco bullets for my 7 rem mag reloading. I was impressed with the reports on game and balance of BC and performance. Today I started sorting them and I'm already thinking this was a mistake. Out of 100 bullets only 43 passes the bearing surface and weight sorting. First I sorted by bearing surface and took everything from .516-.514, 41 bullets failed this test (maybe 6 or so were really close the others as much as .520 or .512). Then I weighed them and took everything from 150.1-149.9, 15 bullets failed this test although it was much closer with 3 or so being 150.2 a few at 149.8 and the rest at 149.7. One bullet I used making a dummy round and never measured. I don't think I was being too strict on my sorting, I followed the steps on reloading for longrange hunting. So this works out to over 1.00$ per bullet. Did I just get a bad batch of swift bullets? I originally had crossed Berger of the list because of mixed reviews of bullet performance but I have always heard that their tolerances are very good. I haven't even shot these swifts yet but even if they shoot well at the price per bullet I could get some CE or other custom bullets. I'm thinking of picking up a box of bergers or accubonds, any thoughts about Berger or accubond tolerances or why these swifts were so bad?

Last edited by pyroducksx3; 07-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: Disappointed with Swift Bullets

I bought some 140 gr bergers nag 28 failed, more than I thought would but much better than the swifts. Only 3 bullets failed the weight test with all others failing the bearing surface test
Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

I thought about trying the 150 scirocco's myself. If you decide not to try and shoot them I would be glad to take them off your hands and see if they will shoot. Although your variance test are a little disheartening.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

I would shoot them then say your disappointed..if you never prepped them first you may not even notice a difference.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
After careful consideration of many bullets I decided on the swift scirocco bullets for my 7 rem mag reloading. I was impressed with the reports on game and balance of BC and performance. Today I started sorting them and I'm already thinking this was a mistake. Out of 100 bullets only 43 passes the bearing surface and weight sorting. First I sorted by bearing surface and took everything from .516-.514, 41 bullets failed this test (maybe 6 or so were really close the others as much as .520 or .512). Then I weighed them and took everything from 150.1-149.9, 15 bullets failed this test although it was much closer with 3 or so being 150.2 a few at 149.8 and the rest at 149.7. One bullet I used making a dummy round and never measured. I don't think I was being too strict on my sorting, I followed the steps on reloading for longrange hunting. So this works out to over 1.00$ per bullet. Did I just get a bad batch of swift bullets? I originally had crossed Berger of the list because of mixed reviews of bullet performance but I have always heard that their tolerances are very good. I haven't even shot these swifts yet but even if they shoot well at the price per bullet I could get some CE or other custom bullets. I'm thinking of picking up a box of bergers or accubonds, any thoughts about Berger or accubond tolerances or why these swifts were so bad?
It would be a very good experiment to test all of the most popular bullets to See how they stack
up against each other using your techniques.

Even though it is not a hunting bullet the Sierra match king would be a good one to test also.

I have had good luck with the Accubond and have weighed and sized them and found them to
be very good, But when comparing them to other bullets I dont have a good comparison and
to be apples to apples a test should be performed by 1 person to avoid differences in
test procedures and equipment.

If you do test other bullets please post the results for all of us.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM
Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

I tested some nosler ballistic tips in .308 150 gr and had 13 fail out of a 50ct box so I guess that's about a 74% pass rate. These were all closer than the swift though in the bearing surface test. There wasn't but a couple that were way off with most just missing but a thousanth or two. Sorting the bullets this way is what was recommend on shawns video and I believe trebark, although I think I read trebarks threads about reloading on snipershide. I assumed this is how most of the longrange hunters do it. Funny note I sorted the bullets just out of practice for my dads 300 savage in his model 99. I got ES of 18 and it shot a .6" 3 shoot group at 100 yards. The gun I'm really trying to get dialed in is my rem 700 in 7 mag and best so far is ES of 28 and a group of .647" at 100. The savage isnt doing too bad for a 50+ ur old lever gun
Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

I use them as my 300 Wby Mag loves the 180 gr Scorocco II. I just loaded up 100 of them so I will be set for the next decade or so with this hunting gun.