Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Different jugs of powder, different velocities

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Bronze Member

Different jugs of powder, different velocities

Have any of you seen a velocity difference in one jug of powder compared to another . Today I was shooting a mixed batch of shells some from one jug some from another. One group was an inch at 300 yards dead center another group was one inch but 4 inches low. The gun was obviously shooting sub Moa but my groups confused me and all I could this was that it was the powder? Btwn each shot I waited 5 mins and was very careful of my form and level..: any ideas??
Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Different jugs of powder, different velocities

I am not sure what type of powder you used, but some powders vary greatly between lots. When a company makes a big batch of powder it is hard for them to make the next huge batch EXACTLY the same way. I think powders like Reloader 22 can have a big change between jugs. I try to buy 8 pounders or maybe 2 with the same lot number if I can find them. I adjust my load every time I open a new jug with a different lot number.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

It's normal.
So when you find a killer load, buy up enough of that particular lot to last the barrel's life.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

Some powders have a plus3 to minus5 allowance per batch. So you can see if you get on the opposite ends you could have quite a difference.