Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Different 6mm Wildcats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Different 6mm Wildcats

Kirby hit on a good point using the 284 case. It is choppy and sticky feeding where the '06 case is slick. The beauty of the 284 case is that it was designed for feeding through a short action. However using it as such defeats the purpose of using it as a long range repeating cartridge with heavy bullets. That is why I didn't build any more after trying it 20+ years ago. The '06 case gave me better performance both velocity wise and feeding wise. The 6.5-284 got a popularity boost in the late 90's when a guy won some matches with it but it is still what it is. Lots of different cartridges have won lots of matches.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Forgot to add there are custom magazines and followers that will feed well with the 284 case. I was just saying rebarreling standard rifles to this cartridge that is one problem you might could expect.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Forgot to add there are custom magazines and followers that will feed well with the 284 case. I was just saying rebarreling standard rifles to this cartridge that is one problem you might could expect.
This is true, the Wyatts 3.000" extended mag box is a good option for longer OAL in your ammo. Still, the 06 is smoother feeding all around.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Kirby, it's clear that you know your stuff here. Is there any measurable difference in barrel life between the 6-06 and the 06AI?
I'm not overly concerned with it, or I wouldn't choose the caliber...but I would like to get as many as possible.
The speed available in the 6-06 is plenty for me...but I thought I had read the AI shoulder can yield longer barrel life with the same or even increased speed.
Was that a dream I had?

I understand by going AI, it will straiten the case walls, removing the taper, and in essence...make the internal mag stagger goofy. I can see how that would suck, but

I plan on shooting 105-115gr bullets...I've got two other .243 cal rifles for the small varmint bullets.

The internal box of my M70 looks like it can take an OAL of 3.630...so even the 115 bullets should have plenty of room.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

While there have been some studies saying the sharper shoulder/longer neck designed cases offer longer barrel life, I would say you would be very hard pressed to prove that point in my opinion anyway. From what I have seen the shooter has more effect on barrel life then any case design, heat the barrels up and keep shooting and barrel life goes down. With these extreme chamberings you want to keep shot strings as short as possible.

By that I mean, if you want a high volume varmint rifle, it would be silly to pick either of these obviously. IF you keep the barrel cool and clean, it is amazing how long todays barrels will last. In the years I have been doing this, 90% of the accuracy problems with barrels was a result of either over heating or poor cleaning practices. It is actually a rare thing to see a barrel that has actually been shot out when cared for properly. I have seen many barrels shot out because the owner got them hot and kept shooting so its more in your hands then the case design!!

I would personally go with the 6-06 for three reasons.

1. it feed like its not even there, smooth as butter.

2. No fireforming means no additional wear on your barrel

3. With many of the long range match bullets, the 6-06 already produces about as much velocity as they can handle, especially with the Berger and A-Max bullets. The 6-06 AI just addes 100 fps to this which actually exaggerates the problem. Simply put, the standard 6-06 is already pushing the envelope with current 6mm bullets, especially the long, heavy VLD type bullets.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Fiftydriver;667426]While there have been some studies saying the sharper shoulder/longer neck designed cases offer longer barrel life, I would say you would be very hard pressed to prove that point in my opinion anyway. From what I have seen the shooter has more effect on barrel life then any case design, heat the barrels up and keep shooting and barrel life goes down. With these extreme chamberings you want to keep shot strings as short as possible.

By that I mean, if you want a high volume varmint rifle, it would be silly to pick either of these obviously. IF you keep the barrel cool and clean, it is amazing how long todays barrels will last. In the years I have been doing this, 90% of the accuracy problems with barrels was a result of either over heating or poor cleaning practices. It is actually a rare thing to see a barrel that has actually been shot out when cared for properly. I have seen many barrels shot out because the owner got them hot and kept shooting so its more in your hands then the case design!!

Amen! My sentiments exactly. I have some excellent shooters that have been that for many years that are considered barrel burning junk in many discussions here and elsewhere. Take care of your rifle and it will take care of you.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Amen! My sentiments exactly. I have some excellent shooters that have been that for many years that are considered barrel burning junk in many discussions here and elsewhere. Take care of your rifle and it will take care of you.[/QUOTE]

Ya you have some BARREL BURNERS for sure!!! As you are likely well aware of from years back here on LRH, when I came up with some of my Allen Magnum wildcats, I was pretty much told they were a waste of money because you would burn the barrel out before you could ever find a good consistant load. that was mainly concerning my 270 AM and 7mm AM. Turns out, if they are used as they should be their barrels last a very long time. My old 7mm AM, by conventional wisdom should have had its barrel replaced several years ago with the number of rounds down its barrel. It up to 28 big game animals taken between 400 and 930 yards with only one miss in all those hunts(a quick fallowup shot corrected that one pilot error!!!) Not bad for an 8 lb rifle with #3 contour.

As we well know, if you keep the barrels cool and clean, they last much longer then most of us would ever believe!!

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com