Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Differences in Chronograph Readings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Differences in Chronograph Readings

cowboy
Thanks, looks like I need to pay attention to the details quite a bit better. I do get ERR often.
I usually just stretch out the cord, set the tripod down, line up on the target and go to shooting. It might be like getting a new one if I am a bit more careful about things.
Cliff
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM View Post
cowboy
Thanks, looks like I need to pay attention to the details quite a bit better. I do get ERR often.
I usually just stretch out the cord, set the tripod down, line up on the target and go to shooting. It might be like getting a new one if I am a bit more careful about things.
Cliff
Hope things go well for you. Keep them moose safe down your way as I'm sure G&F have a tag with my name on it this year and I've got a couple ponies that haven't smelled moose blood yet
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

A little late, but I'll mention I have the ProChrono and Shooting Chrony Alpha.

Started with the ProChrono about 15 yrs ago and got the Chrony A a couple years ago. I've set them up back to back a few times and I got variations anywhere from 5fps to about 70 fps and it and usually an inconstant variation.

The ProChrono seemed to give more accurate and consistent readouts based on published loads and factory published load velocities. The ProChrono usually works very well on overcast days. On Sunny days it will give more inconsistent readings including occasionally as much as 200 fps off, both high and low.

One day last week, It was reading about 3350 fps for a RUM load I was using, during the afternoon in the sun. A few hours later, i returned and the shadow of the overhead shelter moved out over the chrono and the readings went up to 3400 for the same load, just like that.

This is why I put limited trust in chronograph readings. I think they are good for ball park info, but that's about it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

What I see as the problem with faulty chronograph readings is there are more and more people learning to shoot long range and while having a chronograph is a good tool, people need to understand that you must shoot your load at distance and prove your velocity and not just rely on what the chronograph tells you. It really helps to have some better numbers for accurate B.C.s available lately because that takes away another unknown. Information out is only as good as information in.