Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Difference between a savage and a tikka barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Difference between a savage and a tikka barrel

Do you really believe the gun makers are using exotic gun drills ? When they use what is essentially a drill press to chamber ? I am quite willing to believe that for special applications the costly equipment might be justified but I don't see it when making "entry level" barrels that need to cost $50, and are more or less all the same length (mostly under 30").

I used to work for a resistance welding gun maker and the arms of the weld guns were bent from hard drawn chrome copper. We used to have those gun drilled over 6ft in length and the bores on them (while not called out) were smoother than a bunch of barrels one can buy at the LGS.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Difference between a savage and a tikka barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Do you really believe the gun makers are using exotic gun drills ? When they use what is essentially a drill press to chamber ? I am quite willing to believe that for special applications the costly equipment might be justified but I don't see it when making "entry level" barrels that need to cost $50, and are more or less all the same length (mostly under 30").

I used to work for a resistance welding gun maker and the arms of the weld guns were bent from hard drawn chrome copper. We used to have those gun drilled over 6ft in length and the bores on them (while not called out) were smoother than a bunch of barrels one can buy at the LGS.
many barrel makers are using P&W gun drills. Still a good solid machine if kept up, but not state of the art these days. The gist of my post was to tell you what's out there right now, and how they are doing it these days. Most gun drilling operations do not require a fine micro in the bore, but you can achieve this is you take your time and grind the inserts right. Size wise they can be extremely accurate if done right. But one process I've never been involved with is super deep hole reaming, but can see the process without too much trouble as the reamer simply follows the existing hole.
gary