Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Difference between a savage and a tikka barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Difference between a savage and a tikka barrel

Just thought I'd share.

First picture is of a brand new unfired Savage 12 LRP.

Second picture is of a brand new unfired Tikka T3 HB Varmint (my t3 lite looks the same btw).

We all know tikka has excellent barrels but damn, for a grand you'd expect better on a savage. No amount of "break in" or dyna bore coat is going to fix that savage. It was returned. The other 12 LRP in stock has the same barrel issues btw and worse crown damage.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

Re: Difference between a savage and a tikka barrel

Never been a Savage guy they are just too rough for me.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
Never been a Savage guy they are just too rough for me.
Agreed. I have never liked Savage. I've been around guns my entire life and shot more than my fair share to give me a good idea of what I do and don't like. And Savage is just one of those companies I don't like. Give me a 700, A-Bolt II, or Mark V any day, but I'll give a Savage back to you...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

How did they shoot?

I know Savage barrels are button rifled. Pictures look like button chatter.

Aren't Tikka's hammer forged?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I've shot plenty of Savage garbage barrels with very good luck.

Proof is in the gut pile.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

The Savage barrel in that pic was drilled oversize, then the reamer only hit the top of the peaks and then the button was unable to remove the resulting artifacts. Buyers who have such rifles have the makings of a class action lawsuit since it is a clear manufacturing defect of a systematic nature.

It is BS that anyone accepts this. I have never seen this on a model 10 or 12, but there have been many reports of this on model 11/111's. I have one exactly like the picture from TC on an ICON in 308, their now discontinued "flagship" rifle, and TC refuses to replace the barrel even if I pay for it... How about that ?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a Savage fan but IIWY, I'd try to contact Savage for replacement or repair opportunities.

I think even gun manufacturers noted for quality (at least at one time) had some kind of manufacturing/quality control flaws, i.e. ... here's one on Remington;

I hope you'll have it resolved soon. Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
How did they shoot?

I know Savage barrels are button rifled. Pictures look like button chatter.

Aren't Tikka's hammer forged?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I've shot plenty of Savage garbage barrels with very good luck.

Proof is in the gut pile.
a hammer forged barrel is a cheap way to spit out barrels. They have advantages, and their own share of disadvantages as well. That Tika barrel doesn't look like the .270 Winchester barrel that I shot awhile back. It looked more like a really good Remington barrel to me. But the real test is to pull five rifles of each brand off the shelf and scope them. One on one is not a serious compareison

Some of the best looking barrels I've ever seen didn't perform worth a damn, and some of the worst looking barrels shot bug holes. Tony Boyer and Bill Calfee both have made similar quotes over the years, as well.

I have seen some hammer forged barrels shoot very well in the past, but they changed all over the place as they heated up. Most shot OK, but nothing to rave about. On the other hand I've seen cut barrels shoot lights out, and I've seen others that shot like a factory tube.
gary