Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Difference Between Button/Cut Rifling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Difference Between Button/Cut Rifling?

From Krieger's website:

"Q: Is there any advantage to a single-point cut-rifled barrel Vs other manufacturing methods?
A:We feel there are several:
  • Most stress-free way to rifle a barrel.
  • Bore and groove dimensions very uniform throughout an entire "run".
  • On average the barrel lasts longer than a button rifled barrel.
A: This is not conjecture on our part. This is information reported to us by military armorers and also by very long-time competition shooters who have used a considerable number of both button-rifled and cut-rifled barrels."

I recently ordered a Rock Creek single-point cut rifled barrel--in part based on the above information that, until this thread, I thought was fairly universally accepted. I've been lurking on this site for a few years now and before making my barrel choice thought that the bulk of what I'd heard regarding single point cut rifled barrels was that they tended to last longer (specifically the throat area) than button rifled barrels in general. Just curious where this 'new to me' info is coming from.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Unread 01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, I'll be looking for a response now too. I didn't know there was much difference in barrel life between the button and cut rifled methods. I think Fiftydriver is now starting to use some cut-rifled barrels in addition to Lilja barrels. I suspect any differences in barrel life are suttle such as to be hard to definitively determine. It would show up in the barrel burner cartridges quickest. So the benchrest type calibers may not show the difference as quick as the LRH crowd touting the relatively overbored barrel burning cartridges. I know Michael had a terrible time with a 300 RUM in a cut-rifled barrel. He no more than got a sweet load developed and then the pressures increased due to increased bore wear/bullet friction and he'd have to re-tune his powder charge. Turned into a process resembling a dog chasing its tail.

I've got a 25 RUM and it's the only barrel I'm likely to toast - not because I'll shoot it so much - simply because it's a mega-overbore cartridge. It's got a 30" Hart barrel. I have hardly shot it to date, but I expect the same problems Michael experienced with his 300 RUM. At least I know what to expect.
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

I wanted a custom twist and Krieger charged $20 more.
If you go to a button rifle barrel maker what do they charge?

edge.
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

phorwath, do you know approx how many rounds later that Michael started to have problems?
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
phorwath, do you know approx how many rounds later that Michael started to have problems?
300 Remington Ultra Magnum ABS Barrel Review

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Remarkably few shots - like less than ~200 if I recall correctly - which is why I remember his tale of frustration. I'll let him sound in with any correction or detail. It took him a while to finally reach his conclusions. Looks like jmden has provided a link to the saga (Michael's Thread).
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

jmden, thanks good read. Talk about a short barrel life but a happy ending and great customer service.