Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Difference Between Button/Cut Rifling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Difference Between Button/Cut Rifling?

Nothing is left to the imagination after BH's post!!

Well put and nicely said. A+ for big ba!!s there.

Unread 01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Several good, informative posts here. Thanks for sharing guys.
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the informative posts. When I first read this post, I was a little concerned about the button barrels. Mostly because I just bought one. Glad to hear the other side of the story. Thanks BH.
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the info guys. So correct me if Im wrong. Both types shoot great obviously but you are more apt to have stress issues with a button rifled barrel but they last longer than a cut rifled? Also with cut rifled barrels your more likely to get the exact twist that you want than with a button rifled?
Thanks
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovastafford View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. So correct me if Im wrong. Both types shoot great obviously but you are more apt to have stress issues with a button rifled barrel but they last longer than a cut rifled? Also with cut rifled barrels your more likely to get the exact twist that you want than with a button rifled?
Thanks
Some yes and some no.

You have to understand that you can get a turd with either. I dont concider button barrels to be apt to more stress issues in the final product. If there are any stress issues they dont manifest themselves on the accuracy or consistency end of things. When it comes to twist, my opinion is that if you order a 11 twist with a button barrel you get just that. An 11 twist. With modern materials, tools and techniques it will be a VERY precise 11 twist. With cut rifle barrels you can order an 11.26 twist and get an 11.26 twist if that suits your fancy. This is because they can just change the gears on the equipment to accomodate. For you to get an 11.26 twist in a button barrel a whole new button has to be made just for one barrel which is time consuming, costly and not neccesary. Also some cut barrel makers cant get a specifec twist completely accurate. If you order a 10x you may get a 10.2 or a 9.8x. The upper end cut barrel makers dont have this issue. You are correct that button barrels (at least seem) last longer than cut.

Bottom line is when you deal with an upper end barrel manufacturer, you will get an accurate and consistent barrel. Pick one and be happy as well as shoot with confidence.
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Gold Member

I will. Thanks for the help!
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Just when I thought I had it figured out and made my choice a Kreiger-cut rifling...I read this post and now I'm wondering should I go Lilja or??? Don't mind me I'm just yapping. This was a good read. Like other posts on this subject and many others such as best scope....there's never a hands down this is the way to go answer. That's good cause it gives us excuses to buy more stuff to experiment with. I personally prefer cut but, do agree with others that each has it's pros and cons. I do have a question but, will start another post as I don't want to hijack this one.