Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Did a little shooting today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Did a little shooting today

lerch,
Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed the reading and the pictures.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 AM
SPONSOR

jeffbird,

The load I shot yesterday was 102 gr US869 under the 240 smk. Friday morning w/a temp of about 80 degrees it was getting me 3100 fps w/just a little primer flow and easy extraction. Yesterday @ 105 degrees, it was getting me right @ 3200 fps w/substantial primer flow and HEAVY bolt lift. I only shot a few cause I new it was way too hot. Should be about right when the temps get down below 80.

I don't know who did the testing for Hodgdon on the US869 but they must have paid them well!! It IS temp sensitive. We'll have to wait a month or two to see how much velocity it looses when the temp drops below 50 or so. I'm going to guess that it won't be as substantial as the gain from 105 degree heat.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 AM
SPONSOR

It's the Varmint Master bench. Kinda expensive but nice. It's not as good as concrete but for a portable bench is damn steady. I really like the pivot option as well. Much nicer that moveing everything around on the bench.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

I was gonna ask ya Bill, were ya chewin around tiny pieces of jacket in that pic? Looks sorta like a dog tryin to spit a grass burr out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yea I noticed that "heat thing" about a month or so ago with the .270, could have been much worse than the pic of the cases I sent ya. If I would have had to wait till now to shoot, might not have been much left. I started it off with 102grs, and am now down to 92.5. OF course I was also getting 200+ fps over what I am now as well. Just a little to warm for our balmy swamp land down here.

And that pic of the hole in your plate, I am thinking that ours might have a very similar look in a couple of weeks when I get back up to the country. But we got a welding machine and paint so it can be all bad.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"