Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Dick's Remington 700 on Sale Again ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Silver Member

Dick's Remington 700 on Sale Again ??

I see Dick's has their version on the Remington 700 on sale this week for 450. My understanding this is a the older ADL version Remington builds for Dick's.

Any comment are appreciated. I was thinking of the 22-250.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Dick's Remington 700 on Sale Again ??

I can understand no one getting back to me here. I just reread the "Remington Quality" thread. Sorry for posting this, I read that thread so long ago I forgot about it.

I called both of the gunsmiths I know and asked their opinions. One said heck yes, the other said heck no.

Dick's had these on sale last Black Friday for 399. I will say one thing at least these may get some folks into the shooting sports. I am a pretty good shot and I need a 22-250 that will reach out 450+, this probably is not it. Keep saving up for the Sako.

So we wonder why America is failing as a manufacturing country when we can't even build a quality rifle at a good starting price.

Maybe we should all get together and buy the company and make things right.

God Bless America. I mean that, God Bless America.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
I can understand no one getting back to me here. I just reread the "Remington Quality" thread. Sorry for posting this, I read that thread so long ago I forgot about it.

I called both of the gunsmiths I know and asked their opinions. One said heck yes, the other said heck no.

Dick's had these on sale last Black Friday for 399. I will say one thing at least these may get some folks into the shooting sports. I am a pretty good shot and I need a 22-250 that will reach out 450+, this probably is not it. Keep saving up for the Sako.

So we wonder why America is failing as a manufacturing country when we can't even build a quality rifle at a good starting price.

Maybe we should all get together and buy the company and make things right.

God Bless America. I mean that, God Bless America.
Zep, I will throw in my hat and keep you company. I have two of " Dicks" specials. One in 22-250, and another in .308. One is the BDL style, and the other, the ADL as you mentioned in camo. Well, you can shoot flies with either one of them. One of them shot a .462 five shot group yesterday, and will do it most anytime. The other one will pop chipmunks at 200 yards too. Both of these are shooters, and have been since day one. Bought them last spring. Of LATE, big green "Q" has a lot to be desired, and I have been a Remington man my whole life. My closet and gun cabinet will prove that. As far as the quality of the one you may buy, that is unknown, and hard to predict. One of my buddies that I shoot with has one in 223. , and that thing flat out shoots!!! The rest is up to you, and the above is my two cents. And yes, May God Bless America!!!!! Take care!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

7 STW - Many thanks for the input. Of course it adds to the confusion but I just have an itch for one of these as it would be nice to have a rather inexpensive gun for some of the places I visit. Like you said, could be I get a winner, not expecting much, just a gun that shoots straight. A friend bought one in 223 a few months back and it is coming together quite well.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
7 STW - Many thanks for the input. Of course it adds to the confusion but I just have an itch for one of these as it would be nice to have a rather inexpensive gun for some of the places I visit. Like you said, could be I get a winner, not expecting much, just a gun that shoots straight. A friend bought one in 223 a few months back and it is coming together quite well.
Well, for what it is worth, I went through the same thing when I bought these two. First I bought the 22-250. I had picked it up a hundred times, then finally one day I took it home. Scoped it, cleaned it, shot it, and it still shoots. The second one came about two months later. I wanted another 308 to plink with during the off season, and to experiment with. The loads that I " threw" together for break in, were drills. I still to this day shoot that load. I had a 700 p in 308, about 2003, that did not shoot this good. I say go for it. It seems like they are having " q " issues with the flagship guns, which dosen't make any sense, but the "lower end" guns are ok. Go figure. They are the " hook guns" ! Ha ha . Take care, go for it!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

I had bad news good news experience with the ADL 223. New was poor. Then Devcon steel bedded it. Bedded - .25 moa

That is the only change I made to it to achieve a laser for very little cost.

One of my favorite rifles.....since it was so accurate I have continued to customize it.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:51 AM

I'm not too sure their quality is all that bad. I purchased a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (with floorplate) in .223 and I can shoot sub 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards all day long. Recently, I went to Dicks and purchased a Remington 700 ADL Varmint in .243. (Purchased about 3 weeks ago) Using handloads, again, 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. I'm not that picky, but 1/2 inch groups are pretty good for me...what more could ya want?