Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Determine if Barrel is "Shot" . . . ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Determine if Barrel is "Shot" . . . ?

A barrel is shot out as soon as you are not happy with the accuracy anymore,and it has been cleaned properly etc.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
A barrel is shot out as soon as you are not happy with the accuracy anymore,and it has been cleaned properly etc.
the biggest problem here is he hasn't got anything to run against as it hasn't grouped from day 1 ownership. If it fell on it's face that's one thing, but it never was accurate from day one, as per the o.p..
He's got to try something else, and whether it includes loads, cleaning, wrapping said rifle around a tree, etc. is for him to disseminate. Or he can put up the white flag and re-barrel. I hope he tries if the barrel looks good as the 7rum can be a heck of a round.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Bronze Member

Have no worries, I'm not going to give up on my 7 RUM barrel without a fight.

Now, as for cleaning to remove both Carbon and Copper . . . any suggestions on solvents, brushes . . . etc?

I have needed a new cleaning setup for a while now and this will spur me into action.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckytylr View Post
Have no worries, I'm not going to give up on my 7 RUM barrel without a fight.

Now, as for cleaning to remove both Carbon and Copper . . . any suggestions on solvents, brushes . . . etc?

I have needed a new cleaning setup for a while now and this will spur me into action.
I've used plenty of stuff, but I'd look at Barnes cr 10 for copper and Hoppes # 9 for carbon, with quite a few other choices doing well at pulling carbon. Get some good bronze brushes(closed loop end) and a one piece rod. A good bore guide is a serious plus here too.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Boretech Eliminator!!

Boretech Eliminator!!

Boretech Eliminator!!

Boretech Eliminator!!

best i have found for removing carbon and copper.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Bronze Member

Soooo . . . . I spent an hour and a half Saturday night cleaning with Sweet's 7.62. Let me explain my process and perhaps someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.

Step 1: Ran a dry wire brush down the bore 3 passes.

Step 2: Ran a dry patch (on a lug)

Step 3: Ran 1 pass of Sweet's 7.62 down and discarded at the end.

Step 4: Ran 3 dry patches down and discarded at end.

Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until I started getting noticeably clean patches . . . nearly clear.

I finally decided that it was as good as it's going to get as the patches weren't getting any better.

I decided to run a patch through with a protective chemical and call it good. Well Holy S$%T . . . my first wet patch was DIRTY. Very Black/Brown. I didn't expect this as the stuff i used is FP-10 Lubricant Elite. It says on the side that "It Cleans, Lubricates, and Protects". I figured something this generic couldn't possibly clean better than the notorious Sweet's 7.62.

After this discovery, I cleaned with the FP-10 and dry patches until I got semi-clean patches, then completely dried the bore with patches and switched back to Sweet's for a few passes (all were clean). I switched back to the FP-10 and again . . . I noticed semi dirty patches. I repeated this procedure several times and finally got to a point where it didn't seem like I was getting any cleaner passes.

So, what gives. What did I do wrong and what do I need to do going forward?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckytylr View Post
Soooo . . . . I spent an hour and a half Saturday night cleaning with Sweet's 7.62. Let me explain my process and perhaps someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.

Step 1: Ran a dry wire brush down the bore 3 passes.

Step 2: Ran a dry patch (on a lug)

Step 3: Ran 1 pass of Sweet's 7.62 down and discarded at the end.

Step 4: Ran 3 dry patches down and discarded at end.

Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until I started getting noticeably clean patches . . . nearly clear.

I finally decided that it was as good as it's going to get as the patches weren't getting any better.

I decided to run a patch through with a protective chemical and call it good. Well Holy S$%T . . . my first wet patch was DIRTY. Very Black/Brown. I didn't expect this as the stuff i used is FP-10 Lubricant Elite. It says on the side that "It Cleans, Lubricates, and Protects". I figured something this generic couldn't possibly clean better than the notorious Sweet's 7.62.

After this discovery, I cleaned with the FP-10 and dry patches until I got semi-clean patches, then completely dried the bore with patches and switched back to Sweet's for a few passes (all were clean). I switched back to the FP-10 and again . . . I noticed semi dirty patches. I repeated this procedure several times and finally got to a point where it didn't seem like I was getting any cleaner passes.

So, what gives. What did I do wrong and what do I need to do going forward?
Now for the really funky part; some calibers like the 7rum can basically "bake in" carbon and copper fouling. Some of the milder solvents( or copper specific) are not able to get all of it out without a serious fight. If I'm not mistaken, sweets is very good at pulling copper, somewhat like barnes is. You also have to go to a carbon specific solvent like hoppes or kroil to take out the baked in carbon. It's a bit like scouring the coating off of a cast iron. Leave her soaked overnight with a creeping oil like kroil and you'll get even more out when you take a bronze brush after it again. You have a fouled barrel, and if the throat is good, it should wake up after you finally get it clean.

I never start with a dry brush(at least a bit of hoppes) as dry brushes can accelerate wear(using fouling to sand the bore) and this cal. already beats the hell out of the barrel; you don't need cleaning to add wear.