Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Denser core material?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2003, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Re: Denser core material?

Texas, thanks for the link.

Brent, thanks again. Familiar with Corbins product line...might have to wait a few before I start making exotic bullets [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . On the other hand I was thinking that uranium would make neat bullets back in '72. Oh well. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Perhaps I can gather up a supply of neutronium before this baloneyium gets too popular? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] An alternative might be ultra thin walled jackets with a helium core at low velocity. Very quiet and no drop. YEE HAW! Here comes the CIA.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry guys, it's time for my medication. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

Max don't know what meds you are taking [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] but feel you need to get off of it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]. It has you thinking like one of those PoleCats [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] if you know what I mean.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Writers Guild

Max and Brent, yes the lighter bullets for target work is due to recoil. Most LR classes are weight limited so recoil becomes an issue when shooting over a long course.

Muzzle brakes are not popular in most events due to noise to other shooters.

Otherwise, we would all be shooting 50BMG's out of 300lb rifles.

Jerry
Old 08-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Jerry, hadn't considered the recoil issue. Sure I will some day. Hate brakes at the range!
Old 08-27-2003, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

I have seriously considered getting set up to swage my own bullets in the past. Trust me, Tungsten powder would have found its way into some of them.

The simple advantage is this:

BC's are not a function of the length of the bullet. They are primarily a function of the tip, ogive, base and weight of the bullet for a given caliber. Melt the lead out of a 240 SMK, pack it full of Tungsten powder so that it weighs 300 grains and its BC will jump from around .711 to .89--while remaining exactly the same shape. While remaining exactly the same length.

To make a pure copper bullet that heavy it would be so long you would never stabalize it. Even if filled with lead such a bullet would be too long to be practical.

An aerodynamic shape is important, of course, but the more weight you can put behind that shape the higher its BC will be.

Unlike most sites, most on this site know how important a high BC is....
Old 09-03-2003, 04:29 AM

How about Mercury? It has a Density of 13.6, as opposed to 11.3 for Lead. A bullet could have a mercury filled core wrapped in copper.