Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Definition of good bullet performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
Re: Definition of good bullet performance

Allow me to simplify it-
Since this is a hunting sight I'll stick to the hunting side of things-

Definition of good bullet performance: Meat in the freezer or a trophy on your wall with ONE well placed shot where it counts.

Do you smell the backstraps grillin? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Chris Matthews

Unread 05-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Bronze Member

I can't argue with that. I've taken animals with a bunch of types of bullets. Clean kills have always come from clean shots. I say hunt with what shoots for you. You have to hit it to kill it.
Attitude is EVERYTHING!
Unread 05-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Gold Member

the way to guage bad bullet performance is this: ask your self:

at exactly what part of the animals demise did the bullet fail?

do a little research befoe hand, use the right bullet and all will be ok providing you hit em where they should be hit.
Occupying the British Zone.
Unread 05-20-2004, 01:53 AM

I, like winmagman, am a one load/rifle guy. So I generally go for balance, I use the highest bc, most accurate bullet that can consistently kill quickly and cleanly. Even at close range.

I'll use 300 SMK's in my 338 Lapua at all non-dangerous game out to my limit of 500 yards. If I hit one at 50 yards I don't worry. My 7STW shoot's the Cauterucio 156's, same story. I totally believe that being able to place the shot where you have to is most important, but you still need a good terminal performance. I don't care if the bullet exits or not as long as they drop.

There is always the exception of dangerous game where shots are mostly inside 200 yards and a barnes bullet will be loaded every time in my rifles. They have not yet proven to me to be reliable at long range. (Note: I have yet to try the TSX bullets)