Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Deer Performance report on Nosler J4's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2002, 09:04 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Deer Performance report on Nosler J4\'s

Well DC, Boyd I'll goto the other site to see your pics. Still catching up here as I got home last evening early but .. spent some time with the Honey [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I took a management deer of sort this year and sacraficed my tag. this deer was a nice 6 point but had been hit by a can along the lines and had a shattered left rear leg. The deer had been loosing a tremendous amount of weight and I ended the suffering instantly. The deer was shot at about 80 yards with my 308. I was using the 168 grn Nosler J4 pushed at about 2700 fps.The deer was shot broadside. The exit wound was about 2" and the lungs/heart were shattered from the hydrolic concussion. I looked like crazy to try to find the bullet but could not. The ddeer took 1 step after impact but that might have been due to momentum as he was attempting to walk.

It did not apear that the bullet "exploaded" there were no fragments found of any significance inside the animal. (2 small, small pieces of copper) I would say this bullet mushroomed properly.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Deer Performance report on Nosler J4\'s

I second that!! on Dec 1 02 I killed a caribou at 300 with a 168 MK at 2661 and had a 2.5" exit and a 6" wound channel. To heck with what Sierra says. By the way congratulations on the buck
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

WyoWisper
Congratulations on the buck. It would be hard not to shoot a deer that was suffering. Sounds like the J4 worked good. Would like to see pics of the deer and the wound.
Crow Mag
Old 01-12-2003, 10:36 PM

Ric--
I took two bucks this year with the Nosler 168 gr. J4--I had the same type performance. No bullet blow-up, just a good wound channel and lots of blood. Congrats...
Old 01-12-2003, 10:43 PM

Wyo, you had to sacrifice your tag?

In New York we can call the game warden and he will take the deer, but you still have a tag.

Unfortunately you can't keep the meat.